Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Communications for Learning and Engagement
Summary: This position will develop communications materials in collaboration with the content development and communications team to disseminate benefits, experiences, and impact of the Learning and Engagement Unit. Additionally, this position will ensure consistent materials for all ASTHO learning experiences, The Communications Manager will be matrixed in the Content Development and Communications area. Priorities include, but are not limited to, leadership programs (DELPH, ALI, ELM, BSL), leadership meetings, and services provided by the learning curriculum and design team. The Manager will collaborate with ASTHO’s content development, promotions, and evaluation teams to plan and implement interviews, videos, flyers, podcasts, focus groups, web content, social media campaigns, and other products.
Anticipated salary: $74,000 Extended experience: up to $84,000 if experience exceeds expectations
- Advance the communication and promotion of ASTHO’s leadership and learning development activities. This includes researching trends in leadership and learning development, creating capacity building products, gathering data on target audiences, working in collaboration with the promotion team in the development of dissemination plans, tracking key metrics, reporting outcomes, and other duties as needed.
- Document internal activities, services, and impact of the Learning and Engagement portfolio; create documents detailing capabilities and services provided, capture user feedback and testimonials.
- In collaboration with the content development and public relations teams, develop and implement communications materials that will advance ASTHO’s mission to support, equip, and advocate for state and territorial health officials in their work of advancing the public’s health and well-being. Create quarterly metrics reports on the impact and reach to various stakeholders.
- Support the creation, scheduling, and maintenance of communications collateral for the Learning and Engagement Unit to ensure consistency with ASTHO’s brand (e.g., web content, DELPH Magazine, ALI highlights, one-pagers, flyers, intranet postings, newsletters, and the Morning Edition Newscast).
- Capture benefits, success stories, and impacts of leadership development programming, products, and services for ASTHO’s members through video testimonials, evaluations, focus groups, and other communications channels.
- Collaborate with the content development and public relations teams on new content proposals.
- Write and deliver quarterly updates of highlights of the Learning and Engagement Unit for senior leadership.
- Ensure consistently branded background materials and agendas for leadership meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four or more years in a similar position providing administrative support or executive-level customer service.
- Experience envisioning, developing, and disseminating effective communications materials and campaigns.
- Understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for equity, cultural humility, and inclusiveness.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working for membership association or grants funded organization.
Specific Skills Needed:
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and Zoom.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships and collaborative networks.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and diplomatically.
- Ability to translate and disseminate information to various groups and audiences.
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot problems.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, manage multiple projects, and complete assigned tasks in a timely matter.
- Ability to work occasionally after business hours or weekends as needed to support meetings and events.
- Willingness to work on projects across the department.
About Us: ASTHO is the national nonprofit organization representing the public health agencies of the United States, the U.S. territories and Freely Associated States, and the District of Columbia, as well as the more than 100,000 public health professionals these agencies employ. ASTHO members, the chief health officials of these jurisdictions, are dedicated to formulating and influencing sound public health policy and to ensuring excellence in public health practice. ASTHO is headquartered in Arlington, Virginia with a regional office in Atlanta, GA. ASTHO was incorporated on March 23, 1942 with the goal of helping health officials navigate a rapidly changing public health landscape and remains a strong voice in governmental public health.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: ASTHO is an all-encompassing diverse and inclusive organization that respects and celebrates every person’s strengths, assets, and values, eliminating inequities and biases in all facets of activities and operations. ASTHO is committed to leading organizational change efforts that support racial healing, racial justice, and transformation within state and territorial public health agencies.
Mandatory Vaccination Policy: As a Public Health organization, ASTHO accepts the responsibility to follow CDC guidelines and advisories relating to the health of all. ASTHO has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy applicable to all ASTHO employees to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazard of COVID-19.
Job posted: 2023-01-22