Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Communications & Public Affairs
As a key member of Florence Copper Inc.’s (FCI) management team and reporting directly to the General Manager, the Manager, Communications & Public Affairs occupies a safety sensitive position and is responsible for leading internal and external communication programs, community relations, and event and program planning. The role ensures strategic communications to both internal and external stakeholders that promote good will and foster relationships internal and external to FCI.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Provide local knowledge and insight in the preparation and review of strategic communication plans, programs, and materials.
- Lead workforce and business development initiatives to maximize local community involvement.
- Deliver strategic communications programs that promote good will and foster relationships with community leaders.
- Provide input in the development and delivery of strategic messages and press materials.
- Responsible for implementing strategic communication plans for special projects and priority initiatives.
- Update and maintain FCI’s website and ensure that information is shared through social media.
- Supervise media and communication consultants and is responsible for standardization and dissemination of all materials to consultants, staff, and media.
- Deliver community and stakeholder relations strategies at the local and regional levels.
- Interface with local and county officials.
- Serve as a local representative in the Florence community and Pinal County.
- With other company colleagues, serve as a company representative to trade associations, business support organizations, neighborhood groups and other stakeholders.
- Cultivate community contacts to increase local awareness and support and identify prospective community partnerships and develop collaborative relationships.
- Collaborate with colleagues and external consultants to build and activate a local coalition of support.
- Monitor and report on political developments, public discourse, and other local circumstances.
- Establish and maintain, through consultation and cooperation, respectful and trustful working relationships with local communities, property owners, government representatives and other project stakeholders.
- Build and maintain a local database of stakeholder interests.
- Manage the facilitation of tours and special events and visitors at site.
- Plan and execute special events including open houses, career and trade fairs, hosted presentations, etc.
- Attend external community networking events.
- Accurately document community issues and concerns raised through meetings, presentations, and general inquiries.
- Develop, implement, and monitor community outreach and development programs consistent with company policies and corporate responsibility objectives.
- Enact a program for employees to act as ambassadors of FCI within the surrounding community.
- Provide input on strategic planning, setting operational objectives and workforce planning.
- Collect feedback on our internal communications channels and formats along with the quality and quantity of information that personnel receive from the company. Use the information to design and deliver communications across FCI.
- Develop communication mediums such as posters, success stories and weekly talking points to improve communication with internal stakeholders.
- Develop and instill an internal communications plan focused on improving supervisory involvement with delivery of key messages to employee groups.
- Act as the company representative for overall communications in local business continuity and crisis management plans. Continually look for ways to identify, classify and communicate unusual events that are not defined as a crisis in the crisis management plan.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 10 years of proven working experience showing progressive responsibilities in communications, public affairs, and media interactions
- Excellent social media user
Skills and Competencies:
- Excellent presentation, verbal, written, and listening skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with social media platforms and traditional communication methods is required
- Influential leader in the mining industry and local community
- This position is predominantly office work, but some work will be performed in all-weather conditions both outdoors, and in a plant setting.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must work in compliance with the Florence Copper (OSHA) site safety program.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in the plant environment.
Job posted: 2022-04-26