Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Communications, Public Affairs
The UN Foundation strives to advance human dignity and protect the planet through our work on transformative issues critical to humanity’s shared future. As a strategic partner to the United Nations, we bring together fresh thinking and diverse voices to mobilize the people, ideas, and resources needed to tackle urgent problems and drive progress towards the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The UN Foundation’s award-winning Public Affairs team seeks an innovative, creative and digitally savvy Communications Manager to create and implement communications plans, and oversee and develop fresh, compelling, distinctive content across formats and channels in line Foundation priorities. Nuanced understanding of global issues is essential, as well as the creative flair, digital expertise, and project management skills to support storytelling, strengthen brand and audience engagement, and demonstrate the unique value of the UN to the world.
As a key part of UN Foundation’s integrated communications team, this person supervises staff and external vendors, and collaborates with partners, to produce first-rate content and campaigns. The candidate must also demonstrate digital analytics and measurement expertise to create and present reports on performance.
The candidate is central to successfully implementing campaigns, ensuring the content pipeline runs efficiently, as well as seizing opportunities in the news cycle. In addition, they will play an important part in planning and executing content and digital strategy for major events, as well as working with senior team leaders to manage and deploy marketing budgets optimally. Obsession with accuracy, attention to detail, excellent written and visual communications skills, and digital engagement fluency are essential requirements.
This position is based in Washington, DC (hybrid schedule).
- Create communication plans and coordinate content production in support of UN Foundation’s strategic priorities
- Manage and supervise team members, partners, and external vendors in delivering blog posts, graphic design, and video content that is compelling, message-consistent, and in line with UN Foundation’s brand standards
- Work independently and with a team to analyze data, compile and present analytics reports, and make actionable recommendations for enhancing our team’s communication performance
- Edit and review digital content for social media channels, email, and websites to ensure quality.
- Contribute to copywriting as needed
- Advise on, and implement digital engagement and marketing campaigns across channels, including creating promotional budgets and plans, measuring performance metrics, and adjusting as needed
- Work at relevant events, including overseas, leading production of content across channels and staffing senior leaders and stakeholders as needed
- Keep up-to-date and offer advice on digital media and communications trends and best practice.
- Contribute to communications team planning processes, as well as team best practice and learning sessions.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, Journalism, or related field
- 5-7 years of experience with increasing seniority in communications, including writing, multimedia production, and visual communications
- Excellent communication planning skills, with experience and proficiency in content production.
- Thorough understanding of different social and digital tools and channels — what works for different channels and audiences and demonstrated experience of producing and reviewing such content
- Experience leveraging analytics and paid digital media to drive digital growth and engagement with key audiences. Must be proficient in Google AdWords and Analytics 4, Facebook Insights and Facebook for Business, and Twitter for Business.
- Experience analyzing, measuring, and presenting communications data to drive strategy.
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML, Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Suite
- Demonstrated communications experience with UN Foundation and UN issues and priorities. Experience working with multilateral organizations preferred.
- Comfortable communicating effectively with wide range of constituencies — including senior leaders — and good judgment, especially in matters of protocol
- Ability to develop and own relationships with internal and external partners
- Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, to work alone and in teams, proactively and directed
- Willing to travel as needed up to 10%
- A Writing assessment is part of the interview process
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
Job posted: 2023-09-15