Manager, Communications and Public Education
We are looking for a highly organized self-starter and impressive storyteller with graphic design expertise and a passion for child welfare to lead and implement SCAN’s communication strategy and implement the organization’s communications priorities. * Recent college graduates encouraged to apply. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent graduate who is willing to jump in and immediately take on higher level responsibility as well as learn valuable skills on the job.
The Communications and Public Education Manager will lead and implement the overall communications strategy and identify communications priorities for SCAN. S/he will be responsible for all communications tools, including content for and graphic design of SCAN’s email marketing, social media channels, website, and app, as well as print promotional materials. The Communications and Public Education Manager will lead campaigns for both external and internal audiences, ensuring that the organization and its programs are on track for the delivery of all materials, that advocacy messages are reflected in SCAN’s communication work, and that all communication materials produced by SCAN meet best-practice standards. S/he should steer initiatives to propose and execute new, innovative ideas and campaigns, support SCAN’s programs, and raise visibility of SCAN’s work. The Communications and Public Education Manager will be responsible for overall brand management, including production of and quality control for all communications and media work undertaken by SCAN. S/he will oversee all branding compliance, including sub-brands and campaigns for individual programs and special events, and obtain the cooperation of departments and team members in the process of assembling, distributing and sharing of information.
Duties and responsibilities
Increase public awareness around child abuse and child abuse prevention and SCAN’s unique value in addressing those issues
· Evaluate, create, execute, and manage SCAN’s annual communications strategy and year-long editorial calendar to include plans for both the organization and individual programs
· Partner with the Executive team to effectively engage the Northern Virginia community for SCAN as a child abuse prevention leader
· Identify opportunities and partner with relevant staff to develop and distribute materials to promote and publicize organizational initiatives, activities, reports, and content.
· Plan and create messaging and collateral to support programs and partnership development.
· Conduct press and media outreach, draft press materials, op-eds, and other key elements for a successful press strategy
Increase program participation and fundraising revenue through targeted communications and online engagement
· Lead program and fundraising communications, including campaign communications, media outreach, promotional materials, and digital communications.
· Grow and maintain SCAN’s social media presence and following through implementing strategic social media marketing that aligns with SCAN’s immediate needs and/or long-term goals.
· Maintain SCAN’s website for effective community engagement, volunteer recruitment and retention, donor relations, and program participation.
· Support organizational email marketing efforts through consistent design and clear messaging.
· Write fundraising-related content to inspire donations and communicate the impact of support given.
· Play an active role in event planning and fundraising by taking the lead on graphic design pieces and guest web experience with a focus on messaging and consistent branding.
Enhance communications operations
· Work with SCAN’s Board Marketing and Public Relations Committee, staff, and others to develop and implement long-term plans.
· Set SCAN branding and graphic design standards and guide the SCAN staff on utilizing those standards to ensure consistent and strategic messaging across all of SCAN’s communication channels.
· Head organization efforts to maintain an up-to-date website and advise Leadership Team on content, design, and user experience.
· Track and share web and social media metrics for better strategic decision making as well as grant reporting.
· Manage relationships with media and vendors used for SCAN collateral.
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in graphic design, communications, marketing, journalism, or public relations.
· Skilled designer and editor of written and visual presentations with strong experience using common design and video editing software, including Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
· Effective storyteller.
· Experienced in managing social media channels, developing editorial calendars, and overseeing campaigns.
· Possess strong knowledge of website management (specifically WordPress and Google Analytics) and email marketing platforms and CRM systems.
· Creative problem-solver with the willingness to learn new skills to get the task done.
· Possess superior project management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and deadlines.
· Experienced with Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, social media and CRMs.
· Have strong writing and verbal communication skills.
· (BONUS) Videography/video editing skills.
· (BONUS) Spanish/English bilingual.
· (BONUS) Knowledge of child development and child abuse prevention; commitment to trauma-informed, resiliency-focused, strengths-based, family-focused strategies that embrace and respect families.
Flexible schedule including some evenings and weekend hours. Some telework opportunities.
The candidate must be comfortable discussing sensitive issues including child sexual abuse. S/he must understand and demonstrate commitment to maintaining the confidential nature of client information. The candidate must also pass a background check as outlined in SCAN’s policies.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-01-30