Manager Communications, U.S. Government Relations
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we’re excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It’s set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
Manager of U.S. Government Relations will serve as an ambassador for the McDonald’s Brand, possess significant political acumen, have federal and private sector government relations expertise and planning capabilities. Strong motivation, writing, communication, presentation and relationship-building skills are essential to be successful.
The Manager will develop and execute consistent, pro-active engagements with internal (McD corporate staff and McD owner-operators) and external (federal government officials; consultants; third-party groups; trade associations) partners on people-related (workforce, labor, education, etc.) issues impacting the business. Additionally, the Manager will assist on sustainability and other business advocacy issues as required, coordinate advocacy days, site visits, fundraisers and receptions on all issues of importance to the Brand.
In this role, you will also:
- Support and implement plans for consistent, pro-active engagement with government officials, trade associations, third-party groups, McDonald’s leadership and staff, McDonald’s franchisees, and consultants.
- Track legislation and policy related to “people” issues (labor, wage, workforce, training issues), provide senior staff, business officials with insight and information on bill progress and potential for progress. Analyze, assess and engage on legislative/regulatory and reputational issues impacting the Brand.
- Identify and map legislative pathways and Owner-Operator relationships for key bills.
- Manage grassroots alerts for federal issues
- Manage and implement key outreach efforts including, but not limited to, member and staff briefings; restaurant, headquarter and supplier tours; media events; third party engagements.
- Maintain and grow sophisticated political networks, build coalitions.
- Partner with internal McDonald’s teams (public affairs, communications, field brand communications, etc.) to amplify government relations efforts.
- Plan and execute relevant events and activities.
- Support work of other federal directors as needed.
- BA/BS degree.
- Experience in federal government relations, legislative/regulatory, campaign, and/or communications.
- Both government (administration, agency, Congress, etc.) and private sector experience (trade association, advocacy firm, etc.).
- Workforce and labor issue experience and familiarity with relevant stakeholders.
- Franchise, restaurant, and/or retail industry familiarity.
- Solid relevant government and private sector network.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced, constantly changing, deadline-oriented environment.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-06