Manager, Community Engagement
As climate change impacts communities across the United States, IMT believes that our buildings should reduce pollution, protect our health, and enable us to thrive. We build policies and advance business practices that enable people to build and operate healthy, high-performing buildings. IMT seeks a dynamic professional with an understanding of the complexities involved in adopting and implementing strategies that address the climate crisis while also addressing the immediate needs of communities. The successful candidate will help identify and empower community organizations and voices in the planning and implementation of energy policies and programs, in the development and operation of real estate, and in the utility sector. This work will require interacting with a diverse set of stakeholders, identifying new and creative policy solutions, and finding common ground for successful design and implementation of policies and programs. As IMT’s primary representative to community organizations, this individual should have experience working directly within, or closely with, community-based organizations. Empathetic to the need to take quick action to decarbonize buildings, this individual will be a self-starter driven by both a sense of urgency for climate action and an insistence on inclusive community engagement and solutions centered on equity and people.
This unique position will work across all of IMT’s engagement work, collaborating closely with IMT’s team to deliver solutions directly in communities. The manager will report to IMT’s Director of Public Engagement.
- Serve as a primary point of contact for Community-Based Organizations (CBOs) engaged with IMT’s work, tracking their needs, identifying priorities, and providing recommendations for IMT staff who will craft policy solutions
- Develop and implement CBO engagement strategy in coordination with IMT’s program teams to collectively identify ways to leverage policies and programs to achieve community priorities such as racial equity, climate resilience, housing affordability, public health, and workforce development
- Organize and facilitate meetings with a diverse group of stakeholders including CBOs, government officials, businesses and non-profit organizations
- Oversee funding directed to CBOs engaged with IMT
- Leveraging IMT’s ongoing and broad work in the District of Columbia, and in coordination with IMT’s DC project leads, develop strategic plans for coordinating with DC-based CBOs on identifying and addressing urgent community needs through IMT’s climate and energy-focused work in DC
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 5 years of experience in community engagement, knowledgeable in the development and implementation of successful policies and programs
- Commitment to advancing social and economic justice
- Talent for establishing and growing relationships based on trust with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate conversations and work with a variety of external stakeholders to incorporate and accommodate diverse perspectives and priorities
- Ability to be uninhibited by traditional policy development processes and willingness to recommend new, creative, and politically challenging ideas
- Ability to balance multiple partners/clients on different projects with competing priorities
- Demonstrated project management experience and prowess
- Experience directing the work of others and working collaboratively across an organization
This is a full-time position based in IMT’s Washington, DC office. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, but the successful candidate must be located in the Washington, D.C. area. The salary range for this position is $75,000-$95,000, commensurate with experience. In addition, IMT offers a competitive benefits package.
To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Manager – Community Engagement” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.
Job posted: 2020-10-23