Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of Congressional Relations
Job Title: Manager of Congressional Relations
Reports to: VP & Counsel Global Government Affairs
The Manager of Congressional Relations partners with the VP & Counsel Global Government Affairs and fellow Congressional Relations staff to manage advocacy of NPPC policies with members of Congress and staff. The Congressional Relations staff works closely and collaboratively with all NPPC issue managers to ensure maximum success of NPPC initiatives and its advocacy agenda. The Manager reports to the Vice President and Counsel for Global Government Affairs.
- Persuasively advocate on legislative issues of concern to NPPC. This includes developing a program of regular contact with House and Senate offices.
- Research, monitor, analyze, prioritize, and manage records of legislation, votes, and statements by members of Congress on issues affecting pork producers.
- Provide support to NPPC policy staff responsible for managing specific issues. Facilitate meetings and interactions with members of Congress and their staff for NPPC issue managers and pork producers.
- Work with NPPC staff to prepare producers and industry experts for meetings, hearings, and other congressional events.
- Requires frequent interaction with other program areas of NPPC, including, as appropriate, Communications, Domestic Policy, Science and Technology, and International Affairs and Trade to ensure maximum impact of NPPC’s advocacy agenda on members of Congress and staff.
- Participate in regular PAC meetings with NPPC staff and help coordinate NPPC’s PAC committee.
- Regularly host and attend fundraising receptions, dinners, and other activities for members of Congress and candidates.
- Coordinate with NPPC state relations staff in outreach to NPPC’s state affiliates on federal policy issues.
- Help facilitate NPPC sponsored fly-ins throughout the year and assist state organizations and other industry groups, when necessary, in setting up meetings for visits on the Hill.
- Participate and lead in coalitions that further NPPC objectives.
Other Responsibilities: Take on other assignments and projects which may be outside of primary issue area(s) as needed. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must have at least three years of experience on Capitol Hill and a strong understanding of congressional procedure.
- Must have the ability to negotiate effectively on legislative issues and to develop and implement strategies for influencing the legislative process.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make persuasive and convincing presentations.
- Must have an ability to analyze and interpret legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Must be highly self-motivated.
- Must have an ability to work collaboratively in a diverse, team-oriented, work environment with NPPC members and staff.
- Must be flexible and able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Must be highly organized and able to function effectively under high pressure.
Travel: Requires minimal travel. Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-27