Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Corporate and External Communications
Further your career at Ball, a world leader in manufacturing sustainable aluminum packaging and aerospace solutions. Achieve extraordinary things when you join our team, and make a difference in your professional development, the community, and around the globe!
Primary Purpose of the Position
Manages corporate/external communications programs to:
- Maintain, protect, and enhance Ball Corporation’s reputation and brand, and drives media relations and public relations initiatives for the Company.
- Improve the understanding and alignment of Company objectives, strategies and achievements, and drives communications initiatives for the Company
- Deep understanding of media landscape on topics leading conversations regarding sustainability, as it pertains to thought leadership, storytelling across owned (web/social), earned, and third party channels.
Essential Responsible Areas:
Develops, implements and manages the Company’s corporate communications programs:
- Focus on media relations and general news release development, support key marketing initiatives, annual report/earnings releases, , website content, and other public relations activities; plays a key role in the creation and delivery of content.
- While the regular working cycle of this position is usually five days on (Monday-Friday), this job may rarely include working weekends (Saturday and Sunday); working hours may vary as specified by management.
- Corporate media liaison for most business and trade media, supporting non-financial issues, including Company news, Product Innovation, Sustainability Leadership and Business announcements. Fosters and maintains ongoing relationships with key reporters and journalists including Business, Trade, Sustainability, and Consumer media. Tracks media activity and focus on potential relevance for Ball and it’s businesses.
- Managing editor of key communication channels with a focus on owned channels. Fosters and maintains ongoing relationships with network of editorial team members.
- Representative for critical functions at Ball. Responsible for developing and executing communication plans to business priorities, product innovation, sustainability, policy advancements/trends, partnership efforts. company foundation/community, diversity & inclusion, etc.
- Creates and produces materials, speeches, videos, announcements, presentations, social media content suggestions and content and associated communication activities to support key initiatives.
- Assigns activities writing and design resources; directs, assigns and/or collaborates work with regional communications
staff across the globe.
- Assists with external/internal communications activities, including consumer, customer, community, sustainability and media event planning and execution.
- Demonstrates writing excellence when crafting internal and client correspondence, communications plans, press materials, new business proposals, etc.
Executes deliverables for communication projects and programs related to:
- Consumer, seasonal and trend campaigns
- Trade and industry initiatives/campaigns (Packaging, Sustainability, Retail, Supply Chain)
- Global, corporate, regional, business and sustainability campaigns
- Capitalizes on relationships with third-party influencers and internal business partners
- Develops and fosters relationships companywide and manages projects with colleagues at all levels and across all regions and businesses to achieve Company objectives.
- Crafts and manages global editorial calendar to ensure organized approach and cadence of communications.
- Manages budgets, agencies and suppliers to ensure the most cost-effective resource allocation to support the corporate communication function.
- Displays strong presentation skills
Region Specific Responsible Areas:
Brand Reputational Focused Activities Duties Including:
- Superior written and verbal communications skills; demonstrated ability to effectively multitask, delegate and manage assignments and accurately evaluate others’ work
- Stays up to date with emerging technologies and trends and demonstrates understanding of how they integrate into Communications Marketing programs
- Ensures consistency and unity in the brand messaging and demonstrates measurable impact on awareness, understanding and behaviors.
- Sets and leads media relations course, including outreach plan creation, executive thought-leadership planning, drafting of materials, event management, growth of contact network and effective pitching and training of spokespersons on speeches and presentations
- Demonstrates practical and applied understanding of visual communications, social media and the digital landscape and how to incorporate these channels into client programs with digital tools, such as blogs, widgets and mobile applications
- Generates original ideas for sustainable online community engagement, creates and successfully integrates them into plans, measures and evaluates them against goals
- Recommends and utilizes research and analytics as a key project performance indicator
- Business leaders, media and influencers, investor community, global communication partners, third-party stakeholders.
Position Requirement & Competencies:
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college degree level education or work-related experience in communications, journalism, public relations
- Job-related experience for 7-9 year(s)
- Ability to generate creative ideas and analyze and communicate complex information.
- Ability to partner with business functions; develop and execute communication plans to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships that foster customer service among individuals from within the Company as well as outside the Company.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and direct simultaneous projects.
- Must be flexible to last-minute changes and projects.
- Possess confidence, consultant’s mind-set and ability to work independently as well as in team dynamic.
- Comprehensive knowledge of public relations or corporate communications practices
- Excellent writing skills
- Knowledge of AP Style required
- Microsoft SharePoint, HTML, graphic design, photo editing and video production/editing
- 10-15% Travel
Compensation & Benefits
- Hybrid On-Site Work Environment: Based in Colorado, this position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site for three (3) or more days per work week (with core collaboration days of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). [Travel and local commute between Ball locations and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.]
- Hiring Salary Range: $90,400-$138,000 (Salary to be determined by the applicant’s education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.)
- This role will be eligible to participate in the annual incentive compensation plan.
- Ball includes a comprehensive benefits structure, Go to our career site and click “Total Rewards” to learn more.
Ball Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively encourage applications from everybody. All qualified job applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, aboriginality, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran status, age, political affiliation or any other non-merit characteristic.
When you join Ball you belong to a team of over 22,000 members worldwide. Our products range from infinitely recyclable aluminum cans, cups, and aerosol bottles to aerospace solutions that enable our customers to have a deeper understanding of our planet and the universe.
Each of us has a deep commitment to diversity and inclusion which is the foundation of our culture of belonging.
Everyone at Ball is making a difference by doing what we love. Because what we create may change, but what we will always make is a difference.
Please note the advertised job title might vary from the job title on the contract due to local job title structure and global HR systems.
No agencies please.
Job posted: 2023-09-13