Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Corporate Communications
Assist Director, Communications, in creating, executing, and administering publicity plans for USTA Community Tennis business unit initiatives and activities. Help develop and place key message points in traditional (sports) and non-traditional (non-sports) media. Create/write publicity materials for various initiatives. Must be willing to work in a “hybrid/flex” environment which will require both on-site and remote work as designated by USTA, and may be updated from time to time.
- Help manage efforts to generate publicity for the USTA’s mission to promote and develop the growth of tennis (i.e., stories of increased access points for play, highlight positive industry news, promote key points to key target audiences). Major focus placed on various youth tennis initiatives.
- Interact on a daily basis with Community Tennis heads and managers to properly publicize their efforts and assist them in reaching their goals
- Expand and cultivate national and local media contacts (print, broadcast, digital) for story placement on USTA initiatives and general tennis news – focus placed on Spanish-language outlets and entertainment/food/non-sports outlets
- Maximize the exposure of community tennis efforts through USTA in-house vehicles
- Help manage external PR consultants and/or agencies (if applicable) to maximize placement of community tennis stories throughout the year
- Script strategic communications plan to highlight all areas of youth tennis, with a focus on promoting recreational play and the various opportunities and initiatives to get players in the game
- Serve as media contact for all areas of youth tennis
- Serve as department voice within meetings with other departments
- Develop a strong relationship with the CT marketing team to ensure an integrated communications program is put in place
- Emphasize the health and social benefits of the game for children and families
- Develop strategy to broaden player base, specifically among diverse and underrepresented audiences, through media outreach
- Emphasis on outreach to outlets that target Hispanic and Black/African-American outlets
USTA NATIONAL CAMPUS
- Manage all public relations aspects of USTA National Campus activities
- Attend National Campus management meetings to ensure department is represented
- Manage event coordination and publicity for major events at the National Campus
- Develop unique story ideas to generate national stories for print and television outlets for the National Campus
- Serve as lead on all USTA Foundation communications, including the creation of materials
- Serve as the media contact for USTA Foundation opportunities
- Leverage US Open activities for the generation of Community Tennis stories
- Direct publicity strategies for food, fashion, and celebrity initiatives at the US Open.
- Organize and run annual pre-US Open media food event
- Spearhead outreach to entertainment outlets
- Serve as a lead performer on Spanish-language communications
- Provide year-round counsel and support for section communications staffs
- Candidate should have a minimum of six years of experience in the public/media relations field.
- Strong writing skills, ability to develop story angles, experience in pitching stories, and background in working with video production
- Spanish-language skills are strongly preferred
- Strong local and national media contacts a plus
- Strong organizational skills with the capability to multi-task on projects
- Knowledge of the sports industry preferred
- The ability to facilitate communications with the communications representatives at the 17 USTA sections
- Must be willing to work in a “hybrid/flex” environment which will require both on-site and remote work as designated by USTA, and may be updated from time to time.
Pay range in the United States
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-12