Manager Corporate Communications
What you’ll be doing…
The mission of the Verizon Public Sector – Federal Corporate Communications Manager is to drive excellence in earned media coverage, message consistency in all external communications with members of the media, and other internal and external partners including agencies.
The Public Sector – Federal Corporate Communications Manager will live at the intersection of government, politics, media and technology. In partnership with the business unit team, the Federal Communications Manager will be responsible for furthering brand awareness and thought leadership in key media outlets and reporters covering the Federal government including its civilian agencies.
You report to the Verizon Public Sector Communications Director, and is based in the Washington, D. C. area.
- Develop and implement strong, strategic and creative PR programs that support brand awareness and thought leadership with reporters and outlets covering the Federal government.
- Maintain strong and trusting relationships with reporters, editors and other thought leaders/influencers who cover the technologies driving digital transformation in the Federal space.
- Develop compelling story angles for media pitches and campaigns, identify industry and vertical trends for media opportunities and leverage those to generate media coverage.
- Regularly communicate with internal executive clients and agency partners.
- Monitor and evaluate competitive media intelligence and suggest counter strategies.
- Prepare spokespeople with comprehensive background materials/talking points and staff media interviews.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of experience in corporate communications or public relations – public sector/Federal government, technology experience.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications – Journalism, Public Relations, Advertising.
- Ability to build strong, trustful relationships with key members of the media (trade and mainstream) and possess genuine talent, propensity and enthusiasm for pitching reporters.
- Writing, editing and verbal communications skills with an attention to detail.
- Strong digital rolodex of Federal government and technology outlet contacts.
- Experience supporting communications for a Federal, local or state government agency or adjacent role.
- Experience utilizing digital and social media channels to reach a specific audience.
- Experience managing multiple projects at once and seeing each to fruition with strong results.
- Experience with news writing standards.
- Strong team player and collaborator with a “whatever it takes” attitude.
- Ability to work flexible hours and travel as-needed.
- Experience supporting a team of diverse executives and client teams.
- Experience working in crisis communications situations.
- Capability to learn new experiences and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, technology leadership role.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll have the power to go beyond – doing the work that’s transforming how people, businesses and things connect with each other. Not only do we provide the fastest and most reliable network for our customers, but we were first to 5G – a quantum leap in connectivity. Our connected solutions are making communities stronger and enabling energy efficiency. Here, you’ll have the ability to make an impact and create positive change. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, join our team of the best and brightest. We offer great pay, amazing benefits and opportunity to learn and grow in every role. Together we’ll go far.
Diversity and Inclusion at Verizon
At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-27