Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of Digital Communications and Public Relations
FIA is seeking a Manager of Digital Communications and Public Relations to join our team. This experienced communications professional will help tell the story of our work and the issues we care about.
The person in this role will be the lead resources for social media strategy and public relations, but also create and distribute a wide range of content to different audiences beyond traditional press releases. For example, one day you may be asked to watch a hearing on Capitol Hill and quickly turn around a summary of key points … then the next day you will facilitate a loosely scripted podcast discussion on the importance of diversity in financial services.
We want someone who can help with the day-to-day tasks immediately, but ultimately grow into a more strategic role to help FIA grow its digital presence and connect better with our member firms on social media and across a fragmented media landscape.
Some examples of responsibilities that fall under this role include:
- Help field press inquiries and monitor ongoing press coverage of FIA, and watch big-picture trends in the key work areas that are our priorities.
- Maintain existing relationships with both mainstream and trade press, and help identify new outlets where we can tell our story.
- Write traditional press releases and pursue earned media opportunities in external platforms.
- Create and schedule posts for Twitter, LinkedIn and other social channels; share data with the organization around social media successes and opportunities.
- Create news-style articles for FIA.org on industry developments, key issues or initiatives.
- Update the FIA.org homepage and swap out featured elements on other key landing pages on our Drupal website.
- Help schedule, edit and post multimedia content including podcasts and short videos.
- Collaborate with our communications team on long-term editorial calendars.
- Cover CFTC meetings, Capitol Hill hearings, FIA-sponsored panel discussions or other events with the goal of providing short, narrative recaps for members who weren’t there in person.
- Synthesize numbers and charts into short Data Spotlight articles that focus on the latest trends in our markets.
- Help monitor web traffic, email opens and other data to optimize our communications channels.
- Write and edit news briefs on industry or regulatory updates for FIA member emails; help monitor opens and clicks to see what’s working and what’s not.
- Help curate the headlines in our daily SmartBrief email focused on industry news.
- Generally pitch in on communications matters that require writing, editing or posting/emailing content.
- Excellent writing skills and attention to detail
- Minimum of three years’ experience in an editorial/communications role
- Experience working in a web publishing environment (We use Drupal, but any platform will do)
- Four-year college degree
- Experience managing both short-term and long-term editorial calendars and meeting deadlines
- A can-do attitude and the ability to juggle multiple projects without micromanagement
- Willingness to work in our D.C. office Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (with flexibility for remote work after you’re up to speed)
- Newsroom experience, digital or otherwise (everyone on our comms team is a recovering journalist)
- Trade association experience
- Familiarity with email marketing and web analytics
- Familiarity with financial or commodities markets
- Willingness to travel to FIA-sponsored events in London, Chicago, Boca Raton, Houston, Singapore or other locations around the world.
COVID-19 vaccination required.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2022-07-28