Manager of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice
The Manager of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice (DEIJ) supports the development, execution and management of DEIJ initiatives in support of Defenders’ Strategic Plan. Reporting to the Vice President of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice, they will work organization-wide to support the incorporation of Defenders’ Commitment Statement, Values Statement and Goal 2 of the Strategic Plan and DEIJ strategy plan (currently in development) throughout the workflows and culture of the organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In partnership with Human Resources, support the development of internal systems, best practices and policies that support diversity, equity and inclusion at Defenders, to include compensation practices, recruiting and hiring practices, employee development and performance management;
- Support the development and oversight of internal programs that support DEIJ efforts, to include employee resource groups, mentorship and career development programs for underrepresented groups and events;
- In partnership with Human Resources, develop and maintain a DEIJ-based learning program;
- Manage Defenders’ summer internship program, to include the development of the programming and working with Human Resources on year-round recruitment efforts;
- Partner with the VP of DEIJ to identify, define and establish metrics for measuring the effectiveness and success of Defenders’ DEIJ programs;
- Collaborate with Communications to ensure that DEIJ is considered in all aspects of Defenders’ external communications, while owning regular internal communication of DEIJ initiatives, events and progress;
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Experience: 4 years of directly relevant experience as a DEI practitioner required.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for Professional 3
- Ability to accurately maintain electronic and physical records
- Anticipate and meet the needs of internal and/or external stakeholders delivering excellent service
- Ability to clearly and accurately communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately and concisely
- Ability to convey effective messages to broad and diverse constituencies
- Ability and willingness to effectively represent Defenders’ interests in external environments
- Ability to exert influence and build consensus with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion
- Strong research and data analysis skills, including ability to gather and synthesize information from multiple sources to produce high quality work products in a consistent, efficient, accurate, and timely manner
- Creative problem-solving and troubleshooting skills with willingness to experiment and innovate new methods.
- Facilitate and promote the integration of diversity, equity and inclusion strategies into Defenders’ work
- Ability to independently exercise appropriate judgment in response to complex and/or fluid environments
- Strategic thinker with the ability to take high-level strategy and translate into relatable points and action steps.
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines while balancing competing assignments
- Ability to remain flexible and adaptable to shifting priorities while remaining responsive to urgent requests
- Ability to take ownership of a project or process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues
- Ability to manage deadlines on multiple cross-functional projects in a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability in managing competing interests on complex issues
- Ability to independently initiate project and initiative ideas; managing projects and initiatives through to completion
Coalition and Community Engagement
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to form effective working relationships with diverse constituencies including federal/state agencies; elected officials and their staff; Defenders’ members and donors; private landowners; hunters and anglers; community leaders; religious, scientific, and academic communities; and /or the general public.
- Ability to lead diverse stakeholders in collaborative activities, to anticipate policy issues impacting wildlife and make recommendations within Defenders, other organizations, and coalitions.
- Networking skills to engage with leaders in the conservation community, federal and state agencies, NGOs, and other organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities for Manager, DEIJ
- Knowledge of current best practices in promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace required;
- Knowledge and understanding of how institutional bias affects workplace culture and systems required;
- Ability to advance DEIJ best practices, principles and goals in a complex organization required;
- Ability to serve as an internal thought leader on DEIJ required.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES, ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to frequently remain in a stationary position, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods, required.
- Ability to communicate with others to exchange information required.
- No adverse environmental conditions expected.
Visit www.defenders.org to apply.
All employees are required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities of their positions. The essential duties and responsibilities listed above are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Job posted: 2021-05-14