Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Summary: The Manager, E-Advocacy works as a key member of the advocacy team to support the execution of the strategic plan for advocacy. The Manager has responsibility in three key areas:
- Serving as a key point of contact and resource to the field-based advocacy team;
- Managing externally facing communications with advocates, including digital communications and social media outreach; and
- Assisting the Sr. Director, Advocacy, in management and administrative functions, including planning and executing meetings and events and grant and budget tracking.
Specifically, the Manager works with the field-based advocacy team to assess and prioritize their needs; to collect and share requested information; and to facilitate communication and collaboration among team members. The Manager’s external communications responsibilities include coordination and implementation of digital advocacy; management and utilization of the digital advocate relationship management database; and informing and mobilizing advocates via social media, electronic action alerts, website content, webinars, conference calls and other vehicles. The Manager, E-Advocacy also serves as the central hub for collecting patient and caregiver stories for use in legislative campaigns and media efforts.
Reports to: Sr. Director, Advocacy
Additional Position Information:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing daily support and liaising with the field advocacy staff by providing materials and technical support, and assisting the Vice President with ensuring all advocacy activities are working toward the execution of the organizational strategic plan.
- Managing and coordinating with external partners (including consultants and contractors).
- Collecting patient stories from customized letters and social media comments for use in legislative campaigns and media efforts.
- Coordinating with advocacy managers, federal affairs staff, and external partners to create and launch electronic action alerts.
- Utilizing digital advocate relationship management database to run reports on advocacy actions at the state and national level and maintaining and updating database of advocates.
- Managing Advocacy social media accounts, developing calendar of outreach tactics, and responding to advocate questions and comments.
- Understanding value of different social media outlets and how best to leverage each in order to mobilize our advocacy community.
- Coordinating Advocacy and LLS National social media outreach efforts where appropriate.
- Monitoring advocacy email account, responding to requests for information, and distributing comments and queries to appropriate staff.
- Maintaining and updating advocacy section of http://www.lls.org/ with policy updates and communications.
- Consulting with the Sr. Director, Advocacy to plan and execute advocacy team meetings and training for advocates.
- Cataloging and maintaining all digital advocacy assets.
- Assisting in the development of advocacy presentation materials.
- Working collaboratively with other members of the advocacy, policy, and government affairs teams to advance advocacy goals and objectives.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of the LLS mission and programs to promote the field and campaign fundraising initiatives.
- Tracking and reporting on advocacy metrics.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
Education & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 1-2 years of work experience within the healthcare system.
- Experience working with volunteers and patients strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience with e-advocacy, with a knowledge in best practices, and the ability to communicate those practices to people with a wide range of comfort with technology.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database management.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Ability to travel within local region or to occasional national meetings up to 15% depending on time of year
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends
- May work outside at recruiting events less than 5%
- Physical demands are minimal and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
- Work environment is representative and typical of similar jobs in comparable organizations
- Ability to work closely with remote staff, responding to requests for advocate data and actions, and troubleshooting technical and process challenges remotely.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to pay attention to detail is critical.
- Ability to work independently, thrive under pressure, and simultaneously move multiple tasks forward at high level.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment.
Job Posted: September 8, 2017