Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, External Affairs
The Manager of External Affairs supports the development and implementation of the communication and outreach strategies for National PTA’s Program and Strategic Initiatives Department. They partner with Resource Development to build strong and mutually beneficial relationships with national sponsors and assist in successfully stewarding sponsors. They work cross-departmentally to create communication strategies and messaging for all programs and initiatives and are responsible for developing, preparing and managing all program promotion language for a range of diverse audiences which include board members, partner organizations, sponsors, PTA leaders and families. The Manager will work collaboratively and in-partnership with colleagues in other departments to ensure materials are prepared in a timely way meeting departmental requirements. This role requires strategic thinking and conceptualizing along with the ability to implement and get things done in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Sponsor Relations: Support sponsor contract creation and implementation including developing programmatic content, budgets, and reports, and supporting sponsor stewardship, ensuring alignment between organizational strategy and sponsor needs.
- Internal/External Marketing and Communications: Develop marketing/public relations messaging to support the implementation of PTA’s communication plans for National PTA programs and initiatives, including all related communications and messaging (i.e, social media language, presentations, website language, talking points, etc.); coordinate marquee sponsor events; and develop web content and other collateral for National PTA programs and initiatives. Collecting and developing stories which highlight PTA and program impact is an essential part of this role.
- Outreach: Develop and implement an effective outreach to PTA units which clearly articulates the value of National PTA’s programs and initiatives, engages a diverse array of PTAs, students, and families; and assists in building membership.
- Partnerships: Develop a strategy for our nonprofit program partnerships that align with our strategic goals. In addition, cultivate and manage targeted partnerships to further the work of the National PTA and its programs and initiatives.
- Convention/events: Serve as program department planning lead for National PTA’s Annual Convention and related events. Responsibilities include serving on the Convention planning committee, working across teams to promote programs throughout the convention, and coordinating workshops as requested.
- DEI: In partnership with the Director, ensure that outreach and communication from the Programs team reflect, welcome and engage with the full diversity of all students families and communities.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIRED SKILLS
- Communications: Proven ability as a clear and effective communicator engaging diverse stakeholders and communities. Confidence in engaging with everyone from students and parents to c-suite leaders over the phone, in-person, via zoom, and/or by email. Compelling written and verbal communication skills and the ability to create visual supports, including slide decks and other media presentations. Experience in marketing and external communications including creating effective communication and outreach plans. Ability to create and market stories of impact as well as experience utilizing social media to market, communicate and reach diverse communities.
- Relationship Management: Extraordinary relationship management skills and ability to effectively build and nurture strong internal and external relationships. Track record communicating with a diverse range of stakeholders including National PTA teammates, corporate sponsors, external partners, and other members of the field. Must be comfortable working with Corporate sponsors and development colleagues to create programs and initiatives that align with sponsor needs and PTA’s vision and mission.
- Partnership Development and Management: Passion for building non-profit partnerships and proven track record of success. Experience engaging partners creatively to leverage assets and strengths to further the work of the PTA’s programs and initiatives.
- Flexibility: Must be flexible and able to manage and work in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities. Able to problem solve and move challenges through to solutions. Assist team building and maintaining team culture.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience
- 5-7 years of professional experience, with experience in marketing, communications, or corporate fundraising
- Experience writing for internal and external communications vehicles
- Experience working with corporate and non-profit partners
- Work is performed in a professional office environment and remotely, currently in a hybrid structure. The incumbent should plan on partial or full in-person work for this position.
- The position may require occasional evening and weekend work for special programs and/or events
- Incumbent routinely uses standard office equipment including computers, phones, photocopiers, , etc.
- This is a largely sedentary role. Routine activities and special events may require the ability to lift files, packages, and related materials weighing up to 20 lbs. and to bend or stand as necessary
- Position located in NPTA, Alexandria, VA headquarters and requires occasional travel domestically
- Integrity & Respect
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of work
- Communication and marketing
- Collaboration and relationship management
- Job Excellence
- Project Coordination
The position is open until filled.
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program for full-time employees, including medical, dental and vision coverage, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, paid parental leave and a strong 403(b) plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or any other basis protected by law. Employment is based solely on a person’s merit and qualifications.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with disabilities. This includes providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. Should you require a reasonable accommodation to apply or participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-05