Manager, Federal Government Affairs
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|
The Social Impact and Public Affairs team at Marriott International corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland is responsible for public policy advocacy, social responsibility, external stakeholder engagement and a range of initiatives and partnerships which aim to connect the company with communities and governments to drive positive social and business outcomes.
Within this team, the Government Affairs group has responsibility for: (i) assessing business objectives and developing supportive public affairs strategies; (ii) monitoring, reviewing, and influencing federal, state, and local legislative and regulatory activity impacting corporate operations; (iii) managing external relationships with industry professionals, associations and coalitions advancing public policy that benefits our company and associates; (iv) guiding operational units engaging with government officials; and (v) overseeing company-wide political compliance and campaign giving, including managing Marriott’s Political Action Committee (MARPAC).
The Manager, Government Affairs will be a key member of Marriott International’s Government Affairs group, supporting the company’s federal public policy and advocacy objectives through legislative analysis, direct advocacy, development of internal and external communications content and coordinating briefing materials for executive engagement in policy-related forums. In consultation with the Director, Federal Government Affairs and VP, Social Impact and Public Affairs, this role will engage with federal offices and global advocacy organizations to complement the company’s advocacy and thought leadership objectives.
This position reports to the Director, Federal Government Affairs.
The primary responsibilities of the Manager, Government Affairs will be as follows:
Support Marriott’s federal advocacy activities by:
· Managing a federal multi-issue policy portfolio, including tracking legislation and regulations impacting business operations, and working collaboratively with Director to develop and execute effective lobbying plans consistent with business objectives;
· Attending advocacy meetings and events with key hill and administration officials and staff;
· Developing and maintaining business relationships with key officials in federal government and their staffs, including through attending political fundraisers representing the company;
· Identifying and executing opportunities and events to educciates in federal advocacy.
Develop, edit and update federal and global content in Government Affairs communications assets, to include:
· Legislative and policy-related resources such as issue papers, talking points, speeches and letters for use by advocacy team, field leadership and senior executives;
· Supporting grassroots calls to action to spur associate, property-level, hotel owner and/or franchisee engagement in federal legislative activity;
· Other regular updates on Government Affairs and federal political activities, including presentations, intranet content refreshes, and internal newsletters;
· External-facing content development in collaboration with other Global Communications and Public Relations functions to ensure message alignment on public policy issues; and
· Development of content to policy-making stakeholders, including Capitol Hill outreach, highlighting Marriott’s presence in and contributions to communities.
· Support executive participation in public affairs activities, to include:
· Developing briefing materials for global executives and property-level leaders for meetings and hotel visits with government officials and policy makers;
· Preparing executives for national and global thought leadership opportunities with external convening/business groups (i.e., World Economic Forum, World Travel and Tourism Council, American Hotel and Lodging Association, US Travel Association, etc.);
· Develop materials for executives on policy-related topics as they represent the company in coalitions, boards, or other speaking or media opportunities; and
· Work across internal departments in support of executive preparation.
· Assist with other Government Affairs projects and functions, to include:
· Organizing and coordinating the annual Government Affairs Day on Capitol Hill with Marriott’s national Business Council network and property-level leaders, as well as other ad hoc corporate “fly-in” events; and
· Attending events with other community/non-governmental stakeholders.
Requirements for Position:
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and experience as follows:
· Four-year college degree with studies in political science, public policy or a related field;
· Minimum of 4 years of experience working in a Congressional office or an equivalent state or local legislative office, in a legislative affairs, communications or policy role within a federal or state agency, or in a government relations role;
· Familiarity with legislative and political processes;
· Demonstrated experience drafting and writing political or policy communications; experience with grassroots organization and/or coalition management also a plus;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively, including:
o Ability to relate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders;
o Ability to build, facilitate and participate in collaboration between diverse groups;
o Ability to effectively interpret and address needs of diverse constituents; and
o Ability to integrate data effectively and work diplomatically with a broad range of individuals, including senior management and government officials.
· Excellent time management and organizational skills, with attention to detail;
· Self-starter who takes initiative and follows through on tasks to completion;
· Ability to work independently;
· Demonstrated ability to articulate and synthesize complex issues and present info
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-08