Manager, Federal Government Affairs, U.S.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The idea of surgical robotics was little more than a curiosity until 1999, the year Intuitive introduced the da Vinci® Surgical System. Today, Intuitive is the global leader in robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery. Since 2000, da Vinci Surgical Systems have been used in more than 5 million minimally invasive procedures performed world-wide. We have built a company based on an unwavering commitment to patients who benefit from our revolutionary surgical technology.
• Assist in the development and strong execution of U.S. government relations strategies, campaigns, and projects.• Engage in on-going efforts to educate members of Congress, congressional staff, and relevant agencies and their staff about Intuitive’s patient, clinical and economic value as well as impact to society.• Closely monitor and flag legislative and regulatory actions that would impact the company’s operations and/or business goals in such realms as (but not limited to): health care, taxation, trade, reimbursement.• Develop, foster, and strengthen relationships with key members of the relevant legislative and regulatory bodies and third parties.• Participate in meetings between government representatives and ISI executives, spokespeople, and allies.• Develop and execute stakeholder audience-focused meetings, events and activities in collaboration with event organizers and/or hosts.• Collaborate and coordinate with relevant trade associations, as well as track medical device industry trends and policy issues.• Provide organizational assistance in assuring that the department’s individual activities, messages, and materials support the achievement of broader public affairs, country-specific, and company-wide goals and policy objectives.• Draft, edit, review and revise strategic and project-specific messaging and materials (briefing documents, talking points, FAQs, etc.).• Attend meetings/conferences to provide public affairs support as needed.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience.) In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
• 7 to 10 years of combined experience in corporate government affairs, as a congressional staffer, and/or in a regulatory agency.
• Strong relationships on Capitol Hill and in relevant agencies (FDA, CMS, DoD/VA).
• Strong experience and understanding of medical device, healthcare, or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, especially ability to express complex issues clearly and concisely.
• Ability to work independently yet in coordination with teams in other functional areas – e.g. media relations, clinical/regulatory affairs, legal, marketing.
• Ability to work independently and demonstrate good judgement on behalf of GPA and the Company.
• Understanding or willingness to learn and quickly absorb key industry issues relating to products, product categories, technologies, potential competition and general issues facing the medical device industry.
• Responsive and focused on executing in a fast-paced environment.
• General interest and experience in healthcare, science, and/or technology
• BA or BS degree required.
Other Personal Characteristics:
• Demonstrate sound judgement and integrity and be known for building a working environment based on mutual respect and trust.
• Be willing and able to work effectively in high-stress, high-pressure situations.
• Be capable and willing to offer opinions and judgements while also being able to listen intently to, and build consensus with, others.
• Demonstrate energy and enthusiasm for ISI’s business and goals.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-03