Manager, Global Communications Strategy and Campaigns
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s, but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are moving fast and are adding to our best-in-class team. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world. We are customer obsessed, committed to being leaders, and believe we are better when we work together. Over the last couple years, we’ve launched home delivery, modernized our restaurant experience through digital enhancements and have so much more to come.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From ambitious recycling initiatives and balanced sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we are constantly improving. We see every single day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
McDonald’s seeks a Manager, Strategy and Campaigns focused on People for its Global Communications team. The position will lead integrated communications campaigns across paid, earned, and owned media and stakeholder audiences to proactively and reactively address issues impacting the reputation of the business and will be responsible for accomplishing associated measurable objectives. This role will also support the development and execution of three-year reputation strategies and tactical plans relating to employer reputation, ensuring that people policies and reputational objectives support corporate business goals. You will also be responsible for message development, external communications strategy, issues management and thought leadership, among other work contributing to the overall strategy and execution of programs.
The person stepping into this position requires a strong knowledge of integrated communications strategy including experience advising or leading earned, paid and owned media campaigns. Importantly, the Manager should have experience in communicating to consumer audiences in addition to opinion influencers and partners. This role will work closely with the Director and other cross-functional business partners and SMEs to plan, coordinate and execute the activities of the Global Strategy and Campaigns team.
The Manager will be responsible for building relationships across the business with specialists to lead and support cross-functional workstreams focused on influencing, developing and executing McDonald’s commitments. Externally, this position will act as an ambassador for the brand and is responsible for developing and maintaining positive working relations between the company and relevant global and US non-governmental organizations, professional associations, academic institutions, think tanks and advocacy organizations to inform and influence public policy as well as McDonald’s own corporate policies.
This position will be based in Chicago, IL and report directly to the Director, Global Communications Strategy and Campaigns. You will be a member of the broader Global Communications team, led by Vice President, Global Communications Michael Gonda. Some travel required – domestic and international.
Principal Areas of Responsibility
- Measurably drive brand trust with global and US consumers and opinion influencers, specifically as it relates to people and employer reputation.
- Develop the strategy and lead the execution of 360-degree communications campaigns, convening cross-functional teams, to deliver cohesive media strategies inclusive of partner engagement.
- Build trust with partners who influence issues and policy outcomes. This includes working formally and informally with external specialists, representing McDonald’s at relevant meetings and preparing executives to represent the brand, and driving proactive outreach to convey McDonald’s progress and build third-party engagement and support.
- Lead and provide significant input into global and US cross-functional teams relating to McDonald’s policies and reputation.
- Providing input into strategic business decision making, through strong relationships with Corporate Relations team and other functions, including but not limited to: Global People, Global Operations, Global Supply Chain & Sustainability, Legal as well as our suppliers and franchisees.
Acting as the “go-to” person when related issues arise, working in partnership with cross-functional SMEs and corporate relations partners
- Experience leading communications strategies for consumer and stakeholder audiences and the relevant use of earned, owned, and paid media in order to influence the desired outcome.
- Demonstrated knowledge or experience in one or more of the following policy areas: labor relations, human rights, education and workforce development, or gender diversity and inclusion.
- Possesses a sophisticated understanding of US, EU, global and intergovernmental organizations, regulatory and policy-making bodies.
- Experience in providing strategic counsel to senior business executives particularly with regards to brand reputation, issues management, partner engagement, message strategy development, media strategy, media planning and execution.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills, including an ability to convey complex issues in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
- An undergraduate degree, with a law or other relevant graduate degree desired.
- Relevant experience in strategic communications and partner engagement (possibly in corporate, agency or relevant NGO/association environments).
Core Proficiencies and Skills: We seek someone with a strong work ethic who is a self-starter, shows passion, energy and enthusiasm for the journey ahead at McDonald’s. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills:
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem-Solving – intelligent and agile; able to think independently and make sound, reasoned judgments and solve problems within a large organization.
- Accountability and Motivation – self-starter with strong sense of initiative, focused on results; ability to manage multiple, simultaneous projects and, at times, within ambiguous and undefined circumstances.
- Communication – excellent oral, written and overall communications skills; can credibly adopt a broad range of communication styles; sensitive to specific audiences in tone as well as content.
- Global approach – working within and giving to a globally understood picture of priorities and keeping global audiences and impacts for the business and external environment front of mind.
- Strategic Perspective – understands business and the strategic role of communications and public affairs in assessing and analyzing challenges and opportunities in line with business objectives.
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships –Builds and sustains relationships and can call upon those networks to accomplish objectives.
- Ability to Influence – strong influencing and change management skills to effectively manage internally in a complex matrix environment that is undergoing transformation and change.
- Team-Orientation – a strong team-minded approach with ability to lead teams and effectively manage projects and work assertively and cohesively with management and colleagues.
- Composure – Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; strong work ethic and personal integrity; calm under pressure.
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-13