Manager of Government Affairs
Responsible for all aspects of the Society’s government relations program, including WSCPA legislative and regulatory activities, grassroots program, the Government Affairs Committee (GAC), and the CPAPAC (Political Action Committee) to ensure protection and promotion of the profession’s interests. Additional responsibilities include lobbying reporting legislative issues to members, management and board of directors, and overseeing the young professionals group.
This position works closely with President & CEO, lobbyist, and Director of Communications.
Customers: Members, chapter and committee leadership, board of directors, vendors, numerous members of the public, leadership team, department members, office staff.
Essential Job Functions
Government Affairs/Advocacy (60%)
- Lead analysis of proposed legislative actions, determine the potential impact on the organization and develop appropriate responses.
- Work with WSCPA leaders to develop and implement legislative agenda.
- Monitor and respond to state and local issues in the legislative and regulatory arenas that affect members.
- Oversee the Government Affairs Committee to ensure development and implementation of program objectives and goals. Recruit committee members with necessary areas of expertise.
- Oversee recruiting, training and directing grassroots volunteers to champion WSCPA positions to state and federal lawmakers and regulators.
- Organizing volunteers for testifying.
- Creating content and procedures to contact legislators.
- Creating key groups to review legislation.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining a key contact program.
- Respond to requests from AICPA at federal level.
- Direct key staff contact for member inquiries about regulatory issues.
- Responsible for educating members, management and staff and board of directors on regulatory and legislative issues.
- Create and gather content for website, newsletter and magazines.
- Lead and/or assist with webcasts and other presentations.
- Create opportunities to meet with legislators outside of election years.
- Responsible for annual Hill Day event, creation of event, recruitment of members, coordination, training and materials.
- Attend and participate in meetings, and events with WBOA, TAC, NASBA, and AICPA when appropriate.
- With WSCPA lobbyist, President & CEO and PAC Committee, responsible for determining amounts and recipients for each election cycle.
- Responsible for setting fundraising goals and soliciting CPAPAC contributions from firms.
- Responsible for developing and directing procedures related to all aspects of PAC funds: solicitation, distribution, internal accounting, and acknowledgements.
- Maintain PAC bylaws, update committee roster and recommend new PAC members.
- Schedule CPA PAC Committee meetings.
- Act as Secretary for CPA PAC Committee meetings; oversee creation of minutes.
- Ensure delivery of PAC checks; schedule volunteers to deliver checks, or mail checks if necessary.
- Develop and oversee young professionals group.
- Help with special projects as needed.
- Back-up and assist other WSCPA staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Associate in Arts or Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Lobbying experience
- Two years of experience in government affairs and knowledge of the state legislative process
- Two years administrative experience
- Association or not-for-profit experience a plus
- Experience in government affairs or knowledge of the state legislative process highly desirable
- Experience recruiting and working with volunteers desirable
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication and writing skills required, including strengths in grammar and vocabulary. Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to define priorities and handle multiple tasks and priorities
- Highly detail-oriented
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Facilitation and presentation skills
- Self-starter, ability to work without direct supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and database applications
How to Apply
To apply, please click here to submit a cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word or PDF format. Please indicate “Manager of Government Affairs” in the subject line. In your cover letter, explain why this job is a good fit for you. Please note: a resume and a cover letter is required to be considered for this position.
Job posted: 2020-08-18