Manager – Government Affairs
ABOUT GAP INC.
Our past is full of iconic moments — but our future is going to spark many more. Our brands — Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Athleta, INTERMIX and Hill City — have dressed people from all walks of life and all kinds of families, all over the world, for every occasion for more than 50 years.
But we’re more than the clothes that we make. We know that business can and should be a force for good, and it’s why we work hard to make product that makes people feel good, inside and out. It’s why we’re committed to giving back to the communities where we live and work. If you’re one of the super-talented who thrive on change, aren’t afraid to take risks and love to make a difference, come grow with us.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Government Affairs team shares our story and our vision with political leaders at the Federal, State and Local levels. We are looking for a Government Affairs Manager to join our San Francisco, CA team to write clear and concise policy, develop presentations, coordinate internal policymaking, and advocate policy with elected officials and other policymakers. We seek someone who is proactive, has strong ties to government, can work independently as well as organize effective coalitions, and has a strong interest in retail. The Manager of Government Affairs helps to shape federal and state public policy to ensure a sustainable business climate and promote the values that fulfill the mission of our co-founders, Doris and Don Fisher, to “do more than sell clothes.” Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Government Affairs, this person will be a strategic thinker who looks several moves ahead and develops and implements strategies to ensure Gap Inc.’s corporate interests are advanced in legislation and regulatory policy. As part of a high-performing team, the successful candidate will be proactive and able to work independently in a fast-moving environment and bring a solid understanding of government affairs and public policymaking, and strong presentation, communication and writing skills. Collaboration and teamwork across functions are essential.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Track and analyze legislative and regulatory activities impacting Gap Inc.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to identify and develop policy priorities and write concise and compelling public policy narratives and presentations
- Prepare presentations for executives
- Effectively communicate Gap Inc.’s polices and represent its interests before elected officials and other policymakers and staff
- Drive Gap Inc.’s engagement in relevant business groups and associations and support business strategy and execution
WHO YOU ARE
5+ years of experience in government affairs, public policy, campaigns, political action committees, advocacy, or related areas
Clear, concise and compelling presentation and communication skills to write briefings, PowerPoint presentations, correspondence, and policy papers
Ability to translate complex technical issues and communicate simply and powerfully
Ability to interpret and analyze political developments, policy and legislative proposals
Supports multiple projects simultaneously and able to track projects with varying deadlines
Independent, self-starter with excellent time management skills, organization, and attention to detail
BENEFITS AT GAP INC.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, Banana Republic and Old Navy, 30% off at Outlet and 25% off at Athleta for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.
*For eligible employees
Gap Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, training and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, and make all employment decisions without regard to any protected status. We have received numerous awards for our long-held commitment to equality and will continue to foster a diverse and inclusive environment of belonging. This year, we’ve been named as one of the Best Places to Work by the Humans Rights Campaign for the fourteenth consecutive year and have been included in the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for the second year in a row.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-16