Manager, Government Affairs
The American Cleaning Institute’s (ACI) Government Affairs Department operates at the federal, state and local levels across the country. The incumbent assists the General Counsel & Senior Vice President, Government Affairs and the department in the furtherance of the Department’s advocacy program.
The incumbent will identify, monitor, track and report on state legislation and regulations and will engage and work directly with the Senior Manager, Government Affairs. The incumbent will utilize their knowledge of ACI priority issues, and assist the Senior Manager, Government Affairs in the advocacy coordination, outreach to stakeholders, elected officials and agency staff in the designated states. The incumbent will support the Government Affairs Department to further ACI programs aligned with ACI strategic goals and related priorities, and other support as needed. Interaction with external stakeholders as well as ACI members is a critical function of the position; to act as a conduit of information and intelligence between member companies, state contract lobbyists, and allied industries to ensure overall alignment and relationship management digitally and in person.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of four (4) years of progressive experience in government relations in a legislative environment.
- Knowledge of state legislative processes with an ability to apply that knowledge to relevant tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have familiarity with non-governmental organizations or other non-profit entities.
- Must possess strong written, verbal, analytical, and interpersonal engagement skills in order to develop and nurture key stakeholder relationships in the interest of the Institute.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-initiating, well-organized, and capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously and independently.
- Should be results-oriented and exhibits excellent judgment.
- Should have a high-level of energy and a willingness to take on a variety of assignments.
- Ability to read, interpret, and analyze legislative and regulatory language.
- Proficient in utilizing relevant computer software programs, including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
- Ability to use the internet to conduct research.
- Ability to organize and manage projects from inception to completion.
- Ability to plan and effectively respond to changing circumstances and issues.
- Work with the Senior Manager, Government Affairs to identify, track and affect state legislative and regulatory ACI priority policy as directed.
- Support the Senior Manager, Government Affairs in managing the state and local government affairs engagement by monitoring and analyzes state and local legislation and regulations of interest to the Institute.
- Aids in, or develops, responses, including drafting position letters, testimonies, statements, regulatory comments, or other materials.
- Assist in reviewing priority state regulatory introductions, public hearings, and other legislative and regulatory events related to the Institute’s agenda, as appropriate.
- Represent ACI at meetings, hearings, and conferences on issues related to ACI regulatory work.
- Participate in inter-industry coalitions on issues, as appropriate or directed.
- Respond or assist in providing responses to member inquiries on legislative, regulatory policy, and other general matters.
- Assist in coordinating with the ACI Communications Department to ensure accurate and timely information dissemination of ACI state government affairs communications.
- Assist in coordinating and scheduling advocacy visits at the state and local level.
- Other duties as assigned.
Interested applicants may submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: Resumes@cleaninginstitute.org.
Job posted: 2021-02-16