Manager, Government Affairs
Business Unit:Comcast brings together the best in media and technology. We drive innovation to create the world’s best entertainment and online experiences. As a Fortune 50 leader, we set the pace in a variety of innovative and fascinating businesses and create career opportunities across a wide range of locations and disciplines. We are at the forefront of change and move at an amazing pace, thanks to our remarkable people, who bring cutting-edge products and services to life for millions of customers every day. If you share in our passion for teamwork, our vision to revolutionize industries and our goal to lead the future of media and technology, we want you to fast-forward your career at Comcast.
– Responsible for local regulatory, franchising, political, and public policy matters throughout the state of Utah.
– Develop and implements franchise negotiation strategies and local regulatory initiatives.
– Oversees corporate initiatives and community affairs activities in concert with the larger External Affairs team in Utah and throughout the Mountain West Region that includes Southern Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico.
– Main point of contact for the Mountain West Region External Affairs team responsible for creating, establishing and maintaining relationships on behalf of the company with elected officials, business leaders and community influencers in those specific locations.
– Direct Comcast’s municipal engagement approach, including strategic communications, community impact partnerships, short term and long term political strategic partnerships and overall local visibility through close relationships, issue monitoring, and representing Comcast at a variety of events.
– Develop and implement strategy for government affairs and public policy issues for specific franchises as well as strategy for local regulatory initiatives.
– Organize and direct all franchise renewal efforts throughout all local communities in Utah, including developing and implementing franchise renewal strategies consistent with corporate guidelines; lead negotiations to secure timely franchise renewals on acceptable terms; manages the maintenance of local franchise administration and database information; and ensures the timely delivery of franchise renewal notifications.
– Resolve complex and/or difficult franchise renewals, franchise transfers, and franchise non-compliance issues, as required.
– Develop and maintain relationships with government representatives and regulators at the federal, state, and local level. Travel to attend meetings, hearings, or other events to represent the company.
– Manage outside counsel, consultants, or lobbyists to implement strategies or initiatives.
– Provide leadership and supervision to Government and Regulatory staff including staffing, performance management, compensation administration, office management, etc.
– Collaborate to maintain and evolve community affairs budget(s) to reflect optimal ROI.
– Oversee programming related to corporate initiatives and community affairs activities.
– Collaborate with the External Affairs Director, local and regional management to lead a team that develops, manages, and implements the organization’s external corporate affairs strategies and policies, including corporate social responsibility, public relations, and local government affairs.
– Provide strategic leadership and direction for the broader region team that encourages and embraces diversity of thought and drives change with innovative projects and activities.
– Assumes responsibility alongside external affairs colleagues to develop effective external communications strategies to enhance Comcast’s perception and brand favorability.
– Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expected to:
– Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job.
– Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint, and make them promoters of our products and services
– Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
– Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
– Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
– Drive results and growth
– Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
– Do what’s right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities
Education Level Bachelor’s Degree. Law degree preferred.
Field of Study Communications, Public Relations, Business, Political Science, Law, Technology
Experience Generally requires 10+ years related experience
In addition to the requirements above, the following educational achievements are highly preferred:
– 10+ years of public policy and/or political or related experience.
– Thorough understanding of the political electoral system at the local, state, and national levels.
– Experience monitoring local regulatory and legislative activity and advising senior management on potential impact and necessary compliance actions.
– Experience negotiating contracts or agreements with opposing parties.
– Excellent communication and problem-solving skills; demonstrated writing and public speaking skills necessary.
– Ability to work effectively with all levels of management, manage multiple projects, and meet deadlines with consistently high-quality work product.
– Ability to formulate and execute on creative solutions to accomplish the company’s objectives.
– Ability to work well with a team and implement projects and duties individually as well as in a team environment.
– Experience interacting with regulatory, municipal and regulatory officials.
– In-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline; demonstrated ability to manage broad portfolio of workload.
– Instinct to take initiative on work product; prioritizes projects and assignments based on strategic goals.
– Strong organizational, project management and planning skills.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-02-15