Manager of Government Affairs
Blue Shield of California is seeking a lobbyist for our downtown Sacramento office. The lobbyist is responsible for developing and advocating for the company’s state government affairs agenda.
- Identify and monitor state legislative proposals that impact company, work with internal subject matter experts to determine company position on legislative proposals, execute appropriate policy responses.
- Advocate for the company’s position with the legislature and administration, including drafting letters and position papers, and lobbying members and staff.
- Assist in drafting legislation, finding sponsors, and proposing amendments.
- Help develop and implement strategies to work with other influential constituencies to advance policy positions, including health plans, providers, brokers, labor, business and consumer representatives.
- Make recommendations regarding implementation of enacted legislation.
- Monitor and provide input on federal policy matters and state regulatory matters (including coordinating company responses to regulatory data requests).
- Represent company at legislative hearings and political events
- Develop and implement strategies to advance the company’s interests in the political arena, including candidate and ballot measure campaigns.
- Develop and implement a state political contributions plan.
- Support the employee political engagement program and the Employee Political Action Committee.
- Ensure adherence to all applicable laws and regulations regarding lobbying and political contributions.
- Draft presentations for internal audiences about legislative and political issues.
- Create regular reports on the activities of the government affairs department for internal distribution.
Knowledge and Experience
- Strong government affairs background. Typically, requires a college degree or equivalent experience and minimum 7 years of prior relevant experience.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and communicate legislative issues and government regulations
- Strong writing skills and attention to detail, with an emphasis on the ability to be persuasive, clear and concise
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills
- Strong research and analytical background and skills
- 5 years’ experience with the state legislative process as either a lobbyist or senior member of legislative or administrative staff
- Strong computer and internet skills
- Knowledge of applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to health care
- Good relationships with elected officials and staff as well as key health care stakeholder groups
- Bachelor’s degree. Advanced degree, preferable
- Generally requires thorough experience in legislative/external affairs or related business field
Office Environment – roles involving part to full time schedule in Office Environment. Based in our physical offices and work from home office/deskwork – Activity level: Sedentary, frequency most of work day.
Please click here for further physical requirement detail.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-17