Manager- Government Affairs
Leeward Renewable Energy is a growth-oriented renewable energy company that owns and operates a portfolio of 21 wind farms across nine states, with 20 in operation and one under construction, totaling more than 2,000 MW of installed capacity. We are currently developing a [15+] GW portfolio of wind, solar, and energy storage projects in energy markets across the U.S.
The Manager will be responsible for advancing opportunities for utility scale solar in specified regions of North America. This role is responsible for managing regulatory and market developments, and for representing Leeward in public proceedings and forums. The individual will lead the development of SAGUARO policy priorities and strategies in selected regions, relevant trade associations, and in meetings with government staff and officials and other relevant stakeholders.
The Manager will lead Leeward’s activities, in conjunction with industry stakeholders, to grow renewable opportunities nationally. These activities will include promotion of the benefits of utility scale renewables among utility regulators and market operators, driving policymaker interest in renewable energy, support of policy development, and driving the interface between key policymakers and Leeward subject matter experts on these market creation efforts.
This candidate must have an understanding of legislative and regulatory processes for the procurement and development of utility scale renewables, program designs, utility business models, the North American power industry, organized market products and operations, and a capability to utilize that understanding to create increased opportunities for renewables through energy policy. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Drive the development of new market opportunities for utility scale renewables
- Support regulatory initiatives and organized market activities that advance new markets for renewable energy development and operations, as aligned with SAGUARO strategic objectives
- Work with trade organizations and other NGOs to broaden the influence of SAGUARO in advancing utility scale renewable development
- Work with utility organizations and joint action agencies to drive awareness and provide education among utilities and their supporting organizations
- Increase SAGUARO’s visibility in leading utility scale renewable policies throughout the region
- Represent SAGUARO in key stakeholder environments to ensure company energy policy objectives are met
- Working closely with internal business units to assess, prioritize, and respond to policy developments
- Lead development and implementation of regulatory and market strategy in selected states
- Build interest among stakeholders for policies in support of SAGUARO’s business objectives
- Support subject matter expert meetings with public officials and staff
- 6-10 years’ experience in government, regulatory, and/or market affairs
- BA, with focus on policy, economics, or energy preferred
- JD or Master’s in policy, economics, or energy related field preferred
- Experience managing a diverse set of energy policy issues
- A proven track record of successfully building relationships with energy regulators and legislators to enable energy policy goals; building policy positions; and, driving initiatives towards desired regulatory outcomes
- Experience working with electric utilities, building trust and relationships to support shared goals
- Demonstrated ability to develop compelling promotional strategies to create new, and further leverage existing, opportunities to advance policies among utilities, regulators and non-government type organizations
- Demonstrated passion for renewable energy
- Evidence of strong strategic thinking, communication, planning, organization and execution
- Prior experience presenting analyzed data to key stakeholders and senior level management
- Position will require sitting for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lift 20-pound or more
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 25% of time
Leeward Management Services, LLC is committed to employing a diverse workforce, and provides equal employment opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-25