Manager, Government Affairs
Brief Description of Sunnova
Sunnova is a different kind of Power Company, offering solar and storage services to homeowners within the United States and its territories through our network of local solar dealers. Our mission is to Power Energy IndependenceTM and change the energy industry. At Sunnova, we believe in achieving more by working together; our diverse workforce allows an inclusive and innovative culture to power our long-term growth. Our people focus on thinking beyond traditional limits – and to do that, we need the creativity and energy of every person.
Come be a part of the fastest growing segment of the energy industry!
The Manager, Government Affairs Position
Sunnova is looking for an experienced and passionate solar policy advocate. The Manager, Government Affairs, is responsible for facilitating Sunnova’s legislative and regulatory engagement in critical markets, which means working closely with trade associations, non-profits, senior leadership, and policymakers – including regulatory agencies, at national, state/territory and local levels. The Manager will help influence and create policies and regulations that affect the rooftop solar and storage market across the U.S. and its territories.
This role will involve thought leadership, advocacy and finding creative solutions to new problems in the clean energy sector. We are looking for someone who thrives when faced with challenges in a dynamic industry. The ideal candidate has experience working with regulatory agencies such as the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), California ISO, ISO-NE, ERCOT and other organizations leading the distributed energy resource transformation and understands the current landscape and challenges for those resources to participate in competitive market structures.
Manager, Government Affairs Responsibilities
- Maintains awareness of industry and regulatory trends and makes recommendations regarding company governmental and communication strategies.
- Monitors and analyzes possible impacts and responds to state regulatory and legislative policies and proceedings, particularly related to energy, solar and storage policies, grid services, interconnection, planning and rate design.
- Researches and communicates internally about changing policies, laws, rate structures, interconnection standards and incentive programs.
- Advocates for programs, rules and regulations that facilitate the smooth operation of the company’s work and accelerates our company’s ability to provide additional energy services to the grid.
- Develops and leads proactive strategies to build new market opportunities, particularly for home solar + storage systems and microgrids.
- Represents the company as an expert in meetings with regulators, agency officials, legislators, utilities, other companies, trade associations and non-profits.
- Assists in company participation in trade associations, serves as trade association liaison, engages in trade association discussions and filings to ensure that the company’s interests are being considered.
- Builds new relationships and leverages existing relationships with industry leaders.
- Manage outside consultants as needed.
- Education required: BS/BA in business, energy, political science or related fields.
- Minimum years of experience required: 5-7 years, with at least three years working in a public company in the energy market
- Proven track record designing and executing successful advocacy campaigns.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to operate autonomously and to represent the company in discussions with trade associations, policymakers, non-profits and senior leaders
- Exceptional writing and public speaking skills
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines
- Highly organized and works with close attention to detail
- Open office environment when working in Houston Office
- Estimated travel of 25-50%
- Houston, TX, remote working may be considered.
Sunnova offers a generous employee reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive benefits
- Competitive compensation & annual bonus
- Paid time off, including 10 holidays and Paid Parental Leave
- Cell phone allowance for many roles
- Free access to onsite fitness center in Houston; discounted fitness memberships through health provider
- Complimentary garage parking in Houston
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-17