Manager of Government Affairs
The Manager of Government Affairs will interact with local, state, and federal legislative bodies and government agencies to represent, protect and enhance the organization’s business plans, interests and brand.
May oversee and manage a liaison program between the organization and legislative entities.
- Researches and monitors government activities and proposals that could affect the organization’s business, operations, mission and clients.
- Works in conjunction with media and community relations for cohesive and consistent messaging and narratives.
- Assists senior management and leadership with strategic planning for known and potential regulatory activities related to the business and industry.
- Builds and maintains professional relationships with members of federal, state, and local government entities and agencies, primarily in the United States but also in Mexico when applicable.
- Joins trade associations and industry committees and seeks leadership roles, including on community boards.
- Collaborates with industry advocates to identify and build areas of common interest.
- Registers as a lobbyist and acts in that capacity, as allowed, when necessary and as required by law.
- Testifies before government committees in support of the organization and its mission.
- Introduces legislative and public policy changes that will support company operations.
- Views political landscape through a cultural-competency and equity-oriented lens.
- Anticipates change.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professional and personal integrity.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (proficiency in Spanish preferred).
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Keen ability in prioritizing and nimbly pivoting as needed to ever-changing dynamics.
- Strong understanding of social media and potential impact of influencers.
- Strong understanding of government processes and jurisdictional authority.
- Strong government contacts at local, state, and federal levels, including in Mexico, as necessary.
- Strong ability to identify, inform and influence key leaders on important issues.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency in collegial communication and team relationships within organization.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Political Science, Public Relations, Public Policy, Journalism or related fields required; MBA or law degree preferred.
- Ten years of experience in advocacy, government or public policy required.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times.
- Ability to travel, as needed.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-11