Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Government Affairs
March of Dimes leads the fight for the health of all moms and babies. We are advocating for policies to protect them. We are working to improve the health care they receive radically. We are pioneering research to find solutions. We empower families with programs, knowledge, and tools to have healthier pregnancies. By uniting communities, we are building a brighter future for us all.
We are dedicated to hiring a diverse workforce that fosters personal and professional development opportunities. We provide a collaborative and supportive environment built upon our fundamental core principles where each employee is valued. So join us in the fight for healthy moms and strong babies.
The Manager of Government Affairs is responsible for advancing the March of Dimes public policy agenda by developing and executing advocacy strategies to improve the health of pregnant women, infants, and children in states and at the federal level.
- Develop Plans, Objectives, and Strategies: Develop advocacy plans and strategies for critical initiatives in select states and/or federal. Collaborate in the planning and execution of grassroots support for initiatives. Track and report on multiple department projects and initiatives, including deadlines and team deliverables.
- Analyzing research, summarizing, and making recommendations on state and federal legislation, regulations, and initiatives. By systematically gathering information from multiple sources, identify weaknesses or areas of strength and opportunities for policy positions and/or strategy. Conduct legislative bill tracking as needed.
- Direct Lobbying: Assist with direct lobbying, as needed. Perform ongoing management of issues and strategy execution, tracking legislative priorities, assisting with direct oversight of legislative consultants, and managing coalition relationships. If required, register as a lobbyist consistent with state and/or federal laws and regulations.
- Volunteer Development: Assist in recruitment and actively manage advocacy volunteers, as needed, consistent with national and OGA guidance. Assist with recruitment and develop a robust cadre of grassroots and grasstops volunteers willing to be tapped for state and/or federal advocacy (testify, meet with elected officials, engage in the advocacy network, participate in media activities).
- Train Staff and Volunteers: Provide training, support, and be a resource for staff, volunteers, and legislative consultants on public policy issues and positions.
- Communicate Internally/Externally: Engage in regular collaboration and communication with colleagues in Mission Impact, Development, Communications, and Office of Government Affairs to ensure integration. Deliver regular updates to colleagues in the markets and leadership. Network and collaborate with volunteers, coalition partners, state legislature, and members of congress, as needed.
- 5 to 7 years of experience
- Four-year college degree or equivalent experience
- Ability to utilize electronic data management tools, knowledge of social media and outreach tools, and proficient computer skills such as power point, google docs, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom.
- Developed verbal and written communication skills, ability to relate to others, build credibility and rapport, and practice active and passive listening.
March of Dimes provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-18