Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Government Affairs
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
This position will create the strategy and manage the day-to-day activities of Emergent’s political footprint which includes but is not limited to Emergent Employee PAC reporting to the Vice-President of Federal Government Affairs. This position will be an asset to the Global Government Affairs team and play an important role in the team achieving government affair’s objectives.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential functions are those that are fundamental to the position that an individual holds or desires. Consider the following to determine if a function is essential:
• Develop and implement PAC strategic planning and budgeting including PAC board and officers as well as structure, policies and development opportunities.
• Identify Congressional stakeholders who share Emergent’s goals and mission as well as hold key positions in areas of jurisdiction important to corporate objectives.
• Create opportunities for Federal Government Affairs to influence stakeholders through identification of timely events.
• Provide ongoing customer service to EEPAC members through presentations and written materials.
• Develop and implement ongoing fundraising and internal communications plan- including thank you notes, solicitations, promotional communications, memos, and annual DC event.
• Routinely plans and executes educational events for employees including: importance of political activity, issues facing the organization around the PAC and issues on Capitol Hill.
• Develop and maintain relationships within the political fundraising community as well as compliance vendors.
• Oversee the day-to-day operations – including management of all aspects of the disbursement, updating and maintaining PAC records including inputting into the external system, leading the approval process, and distribution of checks.
• Manage fundraising resources including EEPAC website, promotional materials and donor incentive programs.
• Monitor and implement compliance of campaign finance laws including managing campaign finance attorney and ensuring state, local and federal compliance.
• Organize opportunities for EEPAC to host political events in DC office and/or attend fundraisers for elected officials on behalf of Emergent BioSolutions.
• Develop and implement annual Day on the Hill including developing agenda, event planning, and coordinating attendee registration, meetings with Members of Congress.
• Develop and implement training utilizing ELM for the State, Local and Federal Lobbying Compliance as well as Pre-Clearance Program.
• Keep abreast of industry trends for PAC programs as well as any changes to federal campaign finance laws.
• Engage with Washington DC trade associations on an as needed basis.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in international relations, public policy or political science
Experience: Over 3 -5 years political action committee (PAC) or political fundraising experience
Knowledge: Over 3 -5 years experience in government relations, Capitol Hill or political campaign activities, familiar with Federal election campaign laws; must possess basic understanding of membership organization operations and awareness of current health policy issues; knowledge of the political process
Skills: Proficient in MS Office Applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
Abilities: Ability to work collaboratively across the organization; self-motivated, independent self-starter; Strong public speaking skills; Excellent written communication skills; Ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects including action items, timelines and budgets.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.
Job posted: 2022-10-29