Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of Government Affairs
REPORTS TO: Deputy Executive Director
REVISION DATE: October 2022
The manager of government affairs will assist the deputy executive director with coordinating the government
affairs activities within the organization. The incumbent responds to the needs of the membership, including
advocacy of public policy positions of CVSA to the proper constituencies, monitors regulatory and legislative
activities, and works with the deputy executive director to coordinate regulatory, policy and legislative positions
with the legislative and executive branches of government.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following list of duties is not exhaustive. CVSA may also outline additional responsibilities that are not included
in this job description.
• Responsible for monitoring legislative and regulatory activities on issues related to commercial motor
vehicle safety and enforcement
• Responsible for maintaining personal contact and communication with members of the legislative and
regulatory bodies and/or their staff
• Responsible for providing periodic updates to the membership on legislative and regulatory actions that
impact CVSA’s mission, vision and goals
• Responsible for developing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships with internal
and external stakeholders to support programs and services, and policy and legislative activities
• Assists in managing the development and implementation of lobbying strategies, including the drafting of
statements, letters and testimonies, and direct contact with legislators and regulators
• Assists in lobbying before Members of Congress and congressional staff on commercial motor vehicle safety
• Assists with supporting the CVSA Policy and Regulatory Affairs Committee, along with other relevant
technical special committees, task forces and ad hoc committees
• Represent the Alliance at stakeholder meetings and events
• Other duties as assigned by the deputy executive director
This position may involve the direct or indirect management of other employees. This position may be responsible
for the administration of external contractors and vendors who provide services related to the development and
implementation of the Alliance’s programs and services.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent combination of education and
• One to three years of experience, preferably in government affairs or an association setting
• Available for national and international travel
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Experience in facilitating meetings and events with congressional staff/members and other key stakeholders
and decision makers
• Knowledge of federal executive and legislative protocols, policies, procedures, statutes and regulations
• Specific knowledge related to commercial motor vehicle and commercial motor carrier safety and
enforcement is a preferred, but not required
• Ability to build consensus and cooperation among stakeholders with competing interests
• Ability to plan, organize and implement tasks to accomplish the objectives of each assigned project
• Problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound, prudent decisions
• Ability to meet deadlines of assigned deliverables
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service to members and stakeholders
• Ability to continuously demonstrate exceptional verbal, written, listening and interpersonal skills
• Ability to develop and maintain professional internal and external relationships
• Strong organizational skills, superior attention to detail and self-motivation
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, evolving environment
This position is based in Washington, DC and involves the routine use of standard office equipment, such as
computers and phones.
The position requires periodic work outside of normal business hours, as well as travel both during and outside of
normal business hours.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to safely and
successfully perform the essential functions of this job consistent with federal, state and local standards, including
meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
Persons with mental and physical disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are eligible for
this position as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodations are
made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue
hardship, such persons may not be eligible for this position.
Submit your cover letter, salary requirements and resume to CVSA.
Job posted: 2023-01-10