Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 8 years of experience working on relevant policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups, or industry associations.
- Experience advising and collaborating with cross-functional stakeholders to design and deliver exceptional work product.
- Understanding of YouTube’s primary product offerings and their intersection with the public policy environment.
- Proven track record of seamlessly switching between subject matter, types of projects, and responsibilities.
- Knowledge of current and emerging public policy trends relating to online content platforms and technology generally.
- Effective communicator, humble ambassador with the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment.
- Team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing environment.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
As a member of the Government Affairs and Public Policy team at YouTube, you will be an ambassador for YouTube’s issues and interests. You will be an expert in the United States federal policy environment affecting YouTube’s business operations. You are a flexible generalist, able to pick up and deliver on discrete, short-term projects while simultaneously moving long-term initiatives forward across a range of subjects and policy matters. You will develop a thorough understanding of YouTube’s products, policies, and operations and share policy knowledge with stakeholders within YouTube, to include Trust and Safety, Legal, PR, and Marketing. You will work in a cross-functional way to develop and implement public policy strategies. You will report to the Americas Policy Director at YouTube, and will work closely with the Google Government Affairs and Public Policy team in the US. You will demonstrate excellent analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills, with the ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing, an aptitude for learning, and the discipline to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines.
Google Client Services, an entity within the Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team, manages the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy in the United States. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspectives with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the Internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Support the Americas Public Policy Director for YouTube by developing public policy campaigns and leading engagement with US policymakers on Capitol Hill and across the Executive Branch.
- Monitor and impact issues affecting YouTube’s business operations and interests in the US political context
- Work with the Government Affairs and Public Policy team, YouTube Legal, PR, and Marketing teams to implement YouTube campaigns and activities to inform policymakers.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-29