Manager, Government Affairs and Public Policy, Ads
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 7 years of experience working on technology policy issues within government, think tanks, public interest groups or relevant industry associations.
- Experience at a technology company, NGO or similar organization working on technology policy issues with international implications.
- Experience within the digital advertising industry and familiarity with Internet, advertising technologies and the surrounding policy environments.
- Ability to evaluate issues independently in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated experience advising product or engineering teams.
- Team player, with the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly-changing environment.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, with the ability to collaborate with multiple cross-functional teams simultaneously.
About the job
As a member of Google’s Government Affairs and Public Policy team, you’ll be part of a diverse global government affairs team, working across regions, product areas, and functions. You’ll combine creativity and intellectual rigor with the organizational skills to manage various campaigns, projects and initiatives. In this role, you’ll advocate for Google to bring external perspectives back into the company to inform our perception and direction. You’re passionate about the opportunity to shape the future of how we use and build technology for everyone.
In this role, you’ll manage projects across a host of issues, coordinating with the global team and key cross-functional partners to execute our policy strategy, and advising product, business and engineering teams on the public policy implications of their work.
You’ll organize, manage, and communicate our plans, initiatives, and strategy, using your analytical and organizational skills, your ability to communicate effectively, aptitude for learning, ability to develop and implement creative ideas, and the discipline to manage competing projects with tight deadlines. This role requires experience either working with or in a corporate public policy team, government, or NGO as well as a demonstrated ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
Google takes its responsibilities seriously, including engaging with government and other stakeholders on important public policy challenges. The Government Affairs and Public Policy (GAPP) team leads the company’s engagement with executive branch officials, legislators, regulators and third-parties in the formation of public policy. Working closely with Google leaders, GAPP seeks to identify key policy issues, listen carefully to others’ views and opinions, and distill and share the company’s perspective on those issues with external stakeholders. While we focus on challenges affecting the internet, our issue areas are increasingly broad and encompass many areas where public policy, business, and technology intersect.
- Work closely with Product, Business, Engineering and other teams across Google to advise on product development and emerging issues impacting our Ads business and Internet users globally.
- Work within a global team to develop public policy strategies and positions for Google’s core products, including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on those positions.
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to shape policy and political communications on the benefits of an ad-supported web.
- Develop and lead public policy strategy for Google’s advertising business, including working with a cross-functional team to design Google’s policy positions and strategies to support our global business objectives, and drive policy and regulatory outcomes.
- Manage policy projects on a host of issues affecting the digital advertising ecosystem, including data privacy and security, content moderation and cross-industry relations.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-20