Manager, Government Affairs & Strategy
Amherst is revolutionizing the way U.S. real estate is priced, managed and financed in order to unlock opportunities for all market participants. Driven by data, analytics, and technology, Amherst has a 20-year history of anticipating where the next risks and opportunities are likely to emerge and designing actionable strategies for investors to capitalize on opportunities across residential real estate, commercial real estate and public securities. Amherst, along with its affiliates and subsidiaries, has more than 900 employees, $5 billion under management and approximately $15 billion under advisement and oversight. www.amherst.com.
Within the Government Relations and Strategy Function, the Manager will support the development, coordination and execution of the Amherst’s strategic partnership objectives across markets. This position will report to the Senior Director of Government Relations and Strategy to whom you will be a trusted advisor, researching housing programs and development opportunities in our markets, forming relationships and representing Amherst to the public under supervision of Amherst leaders.
A successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Working with senior management to develop and drive Amherst federal, state and local government relations, community engagement and mission driven strategy
- Supporting the connection between legislative and regulatory matters to key business issues and competitive drivers
- Analyzing the external environment to anticipate trends in government and policy actions that could impact the company and its business lines
- Fostering productive relationships between Amherst and governmental bodies by organizing briefings, meetings and other interactions in furtherance of opportunities for collaboration in delivering housing opportunities across markets
- Researching content for and draft, edit and fact-check written materials used for internal and external audiences including briefing memos for management, summaries of legislative or regulatory developments, agendas and periodic updates on GR issues for senior leaders
- Representing the company at industry meetings including briefings, seminars and provide summaries including escalating key information
- Coordinating with peers across the organization including compliance and public affairs to advance shared objectives
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience in government relations, real estate, finance, policy analysis, business management
- Masters, MBA or JD preferred but not required
- 5-7 years of experience working in government or with government agencies, legislative bodies at local, state or federal level or at non-profit institutions with a focus on housing
- Experience in housing finance, economic development, real estate or investment preferred
- Ability to quickly learn new issues impacting the business and then to move fast to contribute to the creation of a successful government and public affairs strategy to address them
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Results-driven and great at communicating up, down and across a company
- Robust interpersonal skills, work with little supervision and attention to detail. A self-starter who can motivate colleagues without specific guidelines or instructions
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, project management experience or certifications a plus
- Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast paced and growth oriented environment
- Extreme attention to detail, and ability to move fast and on multiple tasks
- Experience providing strategic support and counsel to c-level executives or similar leadership roles.
- Highly proficient in MS office applications: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
- Experience with data analytics high valued
- Flexibility to travel as needed
What we offer:
- A competitive compensation package, annual bonus, 401k match
- Flexible PTO, 8 paid holidays
- Employer-paid benefits (medical, dental, vision, health savings account)
- Professional career development and reimbursement
- Relaxed casual environment and weekly/quarterly office events!
Amherst is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or veteran status, and encourage all applicants to apply.
At Amherst, we understand that our employees are the invaluable drivers of our success. Working together to find the best ways to give our institutional investors the tools they need to capitalize on market opportunities in the world’s largest and most complex debt market is a challenge we don’t take lightly, and strive to outpace the competition. That’s why we hire the most talented, passionate individuals who enjoy contributing to a growing, winning team focused on being a world-class leader in developing analytical tools and advisory services to drive better investment decisions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-22