Manager, Government Affairs (West or Midwest)
About this Position
MANAGER, GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS
If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and every day we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
We’re looking for a well-connected manager to join Carvana’s Government Affairs Team within our Legal Department. We have an exciting, customer-friendly business and are constantly building relationships and telling our story to elected officials and regulators across the country. As we grow, we’re finding we have more folks who want to hear from us, and more policy developments to monitor and analyze. We need someone embedded in their region’s political and policy scene to help us get stronger, smarter, and faster at building relationships and managing Carvana’s state and local government affairs portfolio in that region.
You will report to Corporate Counsel over our Government Affairs team, and will partner to build a regional strategy and relationship portfolio. You’ll engage and meet with elected officials and regulators on behalf of Carvana to represent Carvana’s interests, track interactions with public officials, and generally maintain a holistic perspective on Carvana’s many relationships with government officials in your region. You’ll also identify legislation in process that is relevant to Carvana’s business, and manage Carvana’s engagement in the legislative process.
What you’ll be doing
- Build relationships with staff for government officials and government affairs partners and maintain a database of contacts and interactions.
- Identify proactive opportunities to engage in the legislative or regulatory process.
- Manage legislative and regulatory issues to successful resolution, including by meeting with lawmakers, drafting proposed legislation or amendment language, testifying in committee, garnering support for Carvana’s priority issues, and managing the work of external consultants and lobbyists.
- Build relationships with local Chambers of Commerce and industry associations, and identify opportunities for Carvana to engage in community affairs in your region.
- Identify opportunities to introduce Carvana’s local personnel to elected officials and to coordinate tours of Carvana’s local locations.
- Independently prepare reports on pending and enacted legislation at the end of legislative sessions.
- Assist the Legal team with policy research on key issues.
What you should know/have
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited undergraduate institution.
- At least five years of combined government affairs or public policy experience, either in-house, as a consultant, or in public service.
- Deep familiarity with your region, including with elected officials and staff, regulators and staff, and campaign and lobbying leaders.
- Energy, enthusiasm, and motivation to thrive in a rapidly growing company where roles and priorities evolve as the company evolves.
- High analytic ability, with an ability to identify important issues and propose solutions.
- Capacity to work on several projects simultaneously and keep them organized.
- Excellent communication skills, with experience in public speaking and high-stakes oral and written advocacy
- The ability to creatively communicate in verbal, written, and visual mediums.
- Experience performing independent research with both internal and external resources.
- Willingness to travel up to 50%.
- Competency with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint, and Google Drive, and with standard office equipment like computers, scanners, printers, etc.
We’d love it if you also had
- Experience working for or with elected officials or government agencies, or in political campaigns.
- Familiarity with the auto industry.
- Experience in similar roles at innovative companies.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more.
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Job posted: 2021-11-02