Manager of Government Relations
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer a broad range of outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements – check them out here!
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we’re excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It’s set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
McDonald’s seeks a state and local Manager for its Global Public Policy & Government Relations team. The position will lead external engagement with state and local elected officials and other partners in the Southeast.
The Manager will develop and execute a proactive engagement plan to promote and protect brand reputation, targeted to elected officials, in an eight state territory in the Southeast. The manager will work closely with the GR and Field PR team to plan, coordinate and execute the activities of the Global Public Policy & Government Relations team including lobbying, strategic outreach to elected officials, events, message development, issue management, doer engagement, policy communications and thought leadership. The Manager will interface with key internal (owner-operators, GR and other departments, corporate and regional management) and external stakeholders (trade associations, community leaders, legislative consultants, and other industry professionals). Experience in the legislative landscapes of Southeast states a positive.
The successful candidate will serve as an ambassador for the McDonald’s Brand, possess significant political acuity and have state and local government relations expertise and strategic planning capabilities. Strong writing, presentation and relationship-development skills are essential as this position requires communication to a variety of audiences. This position will be based in either Nashville or Atlanta where McDonald’s field offices are located. It reports to Susanne Barham, Senior Director of US Government Relations and will be a member of the Global Impact Team, led by Chief Global Impact Officer, Katie Fallon.
- Develop and implement a plan for proactively establishing productive relationships with state and local elected officials in the Southeast.
- Develop strategies to positively impact brand reputation and legislative issues facing the McDonald’s system.
- Advocate and work with third party groups to address system priorities.
- Establish and maintain a sophisticated political network.
- Maintain and advocate for McDonald’s in trade associations; use trade associations to reach McDonald’s business and advocacy goals.
- Develop and implement plans to optimally coordinate key outreach plans in the territory, including, but not limited to, lobby days, staff briefings and restaurant tours with elected officials, media events, supplier tours and informational testimony.
- Analyze and assess proposed legislation’s impact.
- Partner with regional staff to amplify local government relations efforts initiatives.
- Help direct field activities when grassroots action is vital to influence legislation.
- Assist in developing and maintaining communication pathways with operator leadership, regional leadership, and senior management, advising them on all matters relating to state and local legislation and public policy issues of interest.
- Work closely with federal staff and provide information, advice and perspective concerning state and local leadership, policies and activities.
- BA/BS degree
- Experience in state/local government relations, legislative staff, campaigns and/or corporate communications or a combination of other education and equivalent experience
- Familiarity with industry preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are imperative
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-oriented dynamic environment with constant change
- Detail-oriented, self-starter and good team player
- Creative problem solver proven experience in concept to execution of new ideas
- Solution oriented problem solver
- Networking and relationship-building skills
- Experience influencing others outside direct line of control, management
- High level of strategic focus, planning, perspective
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Customer service oriented
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-26