Manager, Government Relations
About the job
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org for full consideration.
Do you have between 2-5 years of experience working in a government relations or public affairs role?
The Society of Chemical Manufacturers & Affiliates (SOCMA), a 100 year old organization, is seeking a Manager, Government Relations who will be responsible for management of legislative and regulatory issues related to environment, worker health and safety, security, labor, trade, and other policy matters impacting the specialty chemical industry.
Reporting to the Vice President of Legal and Government Relations, you’ll support the organization in carrying out policy efforts before Congress and federal agencies. This position will help manage SOCMA committees, develop materials for lobbying efforts, blog posts, issue summaries and briefings, guidance documents, articles, and work cross functionally with the Communications team to respond to trade press inquiries. The incumbent will also assist in the development of presentations and preparation materials for speaking engagements.
The Manager, Government Relations will contribute to the development of the strategic direction of SOCMA’s government relations efforts including policy development, event planning, communications and member recruitment and retention efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the Government Relations Team on federal legislative and regulatory lobbying activities. Monitor, analyze and interpret legislation and regulations on behalf of the specialty chemicals industry. Track and search for new legislation and regulations on the federal level.
- Maintain active inventory of SOCMA policy initiatives.
- Analyze and evaluate existing and proposed legislation and policy developments.
- Execute advocacy strategies.
- Attend and represent SOCMA at coalition meetings, summits, briefings, and other industry events as requested.
- Support the department’s committees and related Task Forces. Provide committee/task force organization, administration, and outreach. Responsible for committee/task force work products and managing related staff initiatives.
- Develop and maintain government relations member engagement matrix.
- Draft testimony, one-pagers, issue summaries, and member-facing educational materials.
- Assist in development and execution of government relations events such as member briefings, webinars, workshops etc.
- Create and implement communication strategies and outreach initiatives related to SOCMA’s policy initiatives; help develop key messages and supporting arguments to include speeches, brochures, presentations, reports, articles, press releases, blog posts and white papers as needed.
- Some overnight travel required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong understanding of legislative and regulatory processes.
- Proven leadership, organizational, problem-solving, and business development skills, including strategy development and implementation.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of the chemical industry or trade associations preferred.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in government, public policy, or related experience.
- Experience developing and coordinating strategic alliances with stakeholders on key issues and working with representatives of various interests.
- Minimum of two to five years’ experience preferably with a trade association, public affairs, government relations firm, or Congressional Office.
This position is based in Arlington, VA. SOCMA is adopting a hybrid work schedule where employees will have the opportunity to work a portion of the week remotely but must be based in the DC-Metro area.
Job posted: 2021-07-07