Manager Government Relations
The Government Relations Manager is an experienced professional capable of developing and managing an effective program to liaison with government officials and industry leaders. The work requires direct, in-depth knowledge of the function, structure, and personnel of the District of Columbia Government and a proven ability to work with elected and appointed officials and business and industry leaders. The incumbent must keep abreast of local, regional, and national activities of relevance to the Authority, monitor proposed legislation and regulations for possible impact and effect on the Authority, advise on and coordinate the formation of Authority’s policy positions, and develop an effective, on-going program to successfully communicate the Authority’s goals and objectives. The incumbent must possess strong oral and written communication skills. The incumbent reports directly to the Chief of Staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties listed below are intended only as examples of the work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment.
EXAMPLES OF WORK ASSIGNED:
- Develops and manages a comprehensive program for regular and effective communications between the Authority and elected officials and their staffs.
- Monitors activities of the Executive Office of the Mayor and its subordinate agencies (intra-agency) as well as the Council of the District of Columbia; performs research and analysis on government-related initiatives or activities that may impact the Authority; and coordinates, assembles and drafts and/or edits materials for Council hearings and meetings with the Mayor as appropriate.
- Serves as the Authority’s liaison with the Executive Office of the Mayor and its agencies as well as the Council and its staff.
- Tracks all reports due from the Authority to local officials, prepares and/or edits drafts, assures accuracy and consistency with Authority objectives.
- Develops and manages professional relationships with internal stakeholders and local government officials to understand current issues.
- Develops and manages professional relationships with external stakeholders to understand industry trends.
- With the General Counsel, develops the Authority’s responses to legislative and/or business and industry inquires and initiatives.
- Manages the preparation of the Authority’s testimony in public forums and assures accuracy and consistency with the Authority’s mission and objectives.
- In coordination with the Chief of Staff, writes speeches, prepares correspondence and reports, and drafts articles as appropriate.
- In coordination with the Senior Policy Research Analyst, monitors industry trends and performs research and analysis on activities and initiatives that might impact the Authority and its lines of business.
- In coordination with senior management, establishes professional relationships to assist the Authority in developing programs for advocacy or positioning the Authority to enhance its mission.
- As assigned, represents the Authority at external meetings and conferences.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the structure of the District Government
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels both within and without the Authority.
- Demonstrated experience with the operations of policy-making District. Government boards, commissions and/or independent authorities.
- Demonstrated understanding of public relations and media relations practices.
- Excellent evaluation, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment.
- Excellent problem solving and customer relations skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional image.
- Financial Awareness
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Operational Effectiveness
- Job Knowledge and Technical Expertise
- Ability to read and write instructions, directions, memoranda, forms, and other written materials.
- Ability to use computers as well as handheld electronic devices.
- Ability to converse orally and utilize standard and cellular telephones and two-way radios.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism or closely related field; AND
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in local legislative affairs and public relations; OR
- Any equivalent combination or related experience, training or education.
Please apply on our website: https://na1.empforce.com/
Job posted: 2021-11-08