Manager, Government Relations (99365)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Improves business climate for the Company through positive interactions with legislators and regulators and external opinion formers. Influences at state level to promote initiatives that support Company and other stakeholder goals and objectives.
- Understand and articulate in a compelling way the Company position on key legislative and policy issues during the state legislative session and other opportunites throughout the year.
- Shape and influence legislative programs and other critical business issues in alignment with Company goals and objectives.
- Establish constructive relationships with elected and appointed officials on a federal, state and local level and invest considerable time and energy in prioritized networking activity.
- Prepare briefing documents that can be cascaded to key stakeholders (employees, public officials, etc.) to communicate pertinent issues (legislative, Company investment projects, business change, etc.)
- Apprise senior management relative to pertinent legislative issues and other external facts which impact on the business.
- Work cooperatively with affiliated industry, trade or consumer groups to accomplish company goals and benefit our stakeholders.
- Track and monitor legislative bills and trends which will have an impact on our current business.
- Support our business development projects as required and provide potential new business leads to developers.
- Build knowledge and skills (external communication and influence) with the Senior Management team to build their capabilities.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- Provides support to company’s PAC management, solicitation and allocation
- Partners on strategic initiatives, processes and resources for the company in support of the overall strategic inclusion and diversity plan
- Working knowledge of state legislative and rulemaking processes, including a thorough understanding of the structural and political dynamics impacting key players and the company’s advocacy efforts
- An understanding of PAC and election laws and reporting requirements
- Demonstrated ability to testify before and effectively lobby legislative audiences and other policy makers, including the capacity to determine when and how to utilize senior management and issue experts
- Public speaking and/or persuasion.
- B.S. Degree, preferably in Communications, Political Science, Business Administration.
- Minimum 5-7 years in the field of government affairs, public relations and/or public policy.
Job posted: 2020-10-30