Manager, Governmental Relations
The Manager of Government Relations is a vital staff position for Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety (Advocates) (www.saferoads.org). Founded in 1989, Advocates is a (501)(c)(4) lobbying organization with board members representing the leading consumer, health and safety organizations and the major property and casualty insurance companies and associations working together to advance laws, regulations and programs to prevent motor vehicle crashes, deaths and injuries. It is a highly successful organization whose views are sought by Members of Congress, state legislators, government officials, public health and safety organizations, and opinion leaders.
The position assists and reports to the Senior Director of Advocacy and State Legislation and the Director of Government Relations, both of whom report directly to the President. However, all of Advocates’ staff members engage in frequent collaboration and coordination on federal and state policy issues and strategies. The ideal candidate should have experience and working knowledge of federal and/or state legislative processes, ability to assist in the planning and implementation of advocacy strategies, excellent writing skills, strong interpersonal and organizational skills as well as proficiency in handling multiple tasks in a fast-paced working environment.
Primary Job Responsibilities and Duties:
· Monitor, track and assist with the analysis of federal and state legislation and related policy issues to determine possible impact on highway and auto safety policies, programs and laws.
· Research and prepare informational and advocacy materials including legislative summaries, fact sheets, talking points, and letters on safety issues.
· Assist in the development, coordination and implementation of grassroots advocacy initiatives and coalition building.
· Work with senior staff to effectively communicate Advocates’ priorities on Capitol Hill, in state legislatures and with other safety partners and stakeholders.
· Attend legislative and agency hearings, meetings and informational events.
- Support special projects and events including Board of Directors meetings, Congressional receptions, annual state legislative report, and others as necessary.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 2-3 years of relevant experience on the staff of an elected official or in the areas of government/legislative affairs in the private sector or with a non-profit organization, and/or involvement in a political campaign.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the legislative process (federal and/or state) and ability to analyze information and prepare concise and comprehensive written and oral reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to deal professionally with persons inside and outside of the organization.
- Ability to work independently yet cooperatively and collaboratively with Advocates’ staff and others.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-pressure environment while maintaining keen attention to detail.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the position and a copy of your resume to Lisa Drew, email@example.com. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Thank you for your interest in the position.
Job posted: 2020-01-29