Manager, Grassroots Engagement
Summary of Position:
The Manager, Grassroots Engagement will be responsible for building and sustaining a national NAA grassroots program. This position will work directly with the Director, Political Affairs to implement a successful grassroots program that amplifies the presence and credibility of the NAA in the political arena and enhances the value of NAA membership for members of the apartment housing industry. In addition, the Manager, Grassroots Advocacy will be the primary staff liaison to the Advocacy Engagement Subcommittee of NAA’s Legislative Committee. They will work with members of the Subcommittee to recruit and retain NAA members as advocates on federal and statewide issues.
- Develop and strengthen the NAA’s grassroots program:
- Work with NAA’s affiliate staff to recruit and mobilize advocates nationally and statewide.
- Oversee an advocacy alert system for the dissemination of action alerts and legislative surveys for both federal and state campaigns. Work with vendors as necessary to maintain database and enhance functionality. Develop and disseminate state alerts and assist state/local affiliates with advocacy campaigns as necessary. Provide data when requested to NAA Digital Information Solutions team to aid in NAA data quality improvement.
- Maintain and strengthen key contact program. Work with platform vendor as needed to deploy survey and catalog respondents. Update NAA committee liaisons on regular basis on their members’ participation in the program.
- Serve as staff liaison to Advocacy Engagement Subcommittee of NAA’s Legislative Committee. Work with members of the Subcommittee to recruit and retain NAA members to engage on federal and statewide issues. Provide resources to engage apartment industry members in advocacy.
- Manage the Advocate of the Year award program: soliciting nominations, forwarding qualified nominees to adjudicating bodies, etc.
- Maintain a cohesive advocacy calendar in coordination with the Director, Public Affairs and Marketing and Communication departments.
- Develop advocacy resources for NAA and Affiliate members:
- Strengthen the NAA Advocacy Education Program by providing guidance and training to include best practices, webinars, videos and other materials.
- Assist NAA Meetings Department in maintaining Advocate Conference section of NAA Meetings mobile application leading up to the conference and year-round, including Congressional directory, NAA issue backgrounders, talking points, etc.
- In conjunction with NAA Marketing and Communications, market and promote the grassroots program to NAA members and affiliates, including but not limited to:
- Maintain and update the NAA grassroots advocacy/Knowledge Bank pages on NAA’s website;
- Conducting property tours, meetings or other engagement events during Congressional Work Periods; and
- Plan and implement cross-platform advocacy pieces for use in NAA communications channels.
- Assist in the execution of the NAA’s Advocate Conference and Lobby Day:
- Coordinate with other departments on promotional materials, marketing and member engagement.
- Develop training resources for advocates traveling to the meeting, including webinars and other materials as necessary.
- Assist with Congressional meeting arrangements, meeting tracking and general logistics for conference as needed.
- Keep abreast of best practices and trends in grassroots advocacy through NAA’s memberships in National Journal, Advocacy Leaders Network, Congressional Management Foundation, Public Affairs Council and other organizations. Professionally represent NAA at meetings and forums sponsored by these groups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Expertise Technical capacity
- Communication proficiency Cultural Awareness
- Organizational skills Relationship Management
- Critical Evaluation Ethical Practice
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
15% – 20 %
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum three to five years of direct experience managing an advocacy program in a membership organization or corporate environment.
- Knowledge of the political process and advocacy techniques.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects.
- Ability to work across departments in a professional and collaborative manner.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of grassroots management software, including but not limited to VoterVoice, RAP Index, FiscalNote.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Proficient using Salesforce software
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms. The employee may occasionally lift up-to 20 pounds.
Work is regularly performed in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please send resumé, cover letter, 2 samples of grassroots alerts or other advocacy writing pieces and salary requirements to Resumes@naahq.org. No phone calls, please. EOE M/F/H/V
Job posted: 2021-01-11