Manager, Health Policy
Abiomed is a pioneer and global leader in healthcare technology and innovation, with a mission of Recovering Hearts & Saving Lives. With corporate headquarters in Danvers, Massachusetts, offices in Aachen & Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan, Abiomed’s 1,500 employees form one of the fastest growing medical device companies in the world. We attract and retain exceptional talent with our collaborative culture, passion for our work, and a strong commitment to employee professional development.
Patients First | Innovation | Winning Culture | Heart Recovery
Reporting into the Sr. Director of Health Policy & Government Affairs, the Manager, Health Policy is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of public policy issues focused on Medicare and Commercial health policy and market access. The Manager, Health Policy, will work with the Health Policy, Reimbursement, and Government Affairs team in the planning and design of health policy materials to ensure payer, governmental, societal, and other critical partners and stakeholder requirements are met.
Responsibilities include articulating the current reimbursement landscape and strategic path forward for successful reimbursement at launch and beyond. The role will collaborate with clinical and regulatory and colleagues to access the landscape and opportunities in a Medicare fee-for-service and in alternative payment models to support and establish optimal reimbursement. The role will support developing economic value strategies and reimbursement plans, supporting both pipeline and new market opportunities within Abiomed.
The Manager, Health Policy, will also be responsible for understanding coverage and payment strategies and execution. This position is also responsible for understanding and articulating how reimbursement, the health care environment, and VBHC initiatives are directly related to Abiomed businesses and our hospital, physician, and payer stakeholders.
- Work with the Health Policy, Reimbursement & Government Affairs team to execute our U.S. Medicare and public policy positions
- Develops and implements reimbursement strategies and programs to obtain coverage, coding, and payment from payer/providers.
- Provides reimbursement-related advice to internal clinical, marketing, and business leaders
- Identify payer opportunities and implements programs to resolve/decrease barriers to entry for the company’s products or therapies.
- Work across a matrix with colleagues in commercial, medical affairs, market access, communications, patient advocacy, and other parts of Corporate Affairs to achieve business goals
- Participate in trade association workgroups to represent the company’s interests
- Monitors CMS and HHS agency activities of interest to Abiomed that shape the formulation of relevant public policy issues.
- Analyze and summarize health care regulatory developments of interest
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Advanced degree with a focus in health policy desired.
- 5+ years of demonstrated success working in the public policy arena and/or U.S. government. Medical device, life science, or cardiac-related care a plus
- Ability to manage numerous competing priorities under pressure while effectively collaborating with internal partners
- Ability to process and work with Medicare and Commercial datasets, including MedPar and external data sources
- Strong data analytics background, working with Microsoft Excel, Tableau, and related datasets.
- Ability to formulate reimbursement data requests for external data vendors and create content for presentation based on raw data and interpretation
- Working familiarity with Medicare reimbursement, coverage, coding, and payment processes
- Expert knowledge of the transforming U.S. health system, finance and payment structures, benefit design, and care delivery
- Ability to bring together different internal partners and move an agenda forward to resolution and action.
- Understanding of political dynamics and their impact on policy.
- Consistent record in identifying policy trends affecting the medical device and technology sector
- Strong oral and written communication skills to influence and effectively lead internal and external audiences to desired outcomes.
Learn more here
Abiomed is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Abiomed will not discriminate against any worker or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, non-job related mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, military service, application for military service, or membership in any other category protected under law.
Job posted: 2021-01-05