Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager I, US Public Policy & Advocacy
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee, whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, or Depop, you will tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What’s the role?
We are seeking an experienced professional to support our Americas public policy and advocacy work. Our team supports our House of Brands, working across all of our marketplaces and offices worldwide.
As a Manager, Americas Public Policy & Advocacy, you will advance public policies that increase economic security and reduce administrative burdens for the creative entrepreneurs that power our marketplaces. You will also champion public policies that enhance economic empowerment, equity, and ecological sustainability.
You will position Etsy as a credible voice on micro-business, and technology issues, and advance our policy goals in both Washington, DC and at the global level. You will also be responsible for supporting our core marketplace policy issues including: intermediary liability, copyright, trademark, product safety, platform competition, privacy, tax, trade, sustainability and postal reform. You will prioritize connecting Etsy sellers with the policymakers that represent them, and advocate for collaborative policy solutions to address our shared challenges.
Are you an independent self-starter, comfortable forming relationships with legislators, digging in on policy details, and implementing diverse campaign tactics? If so, this could be a magnificent match.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Director of Americas Public Policy and Advocacy and the base salary range will be $108,000 – $128,000 USD per year. In addition to salary, you will also be eligible for an equity package, an annual performance bonus, and our competitive benefits that support you and your family as part of your total rewards package at Etsy. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What’s this team like at Etsy?
- Etsy’s Public Policy and Advocacy team develops and implements the global government affairs strategy for Etsy and its House of Brands (Reverb and Depop).
- The team advocates for public policies that increase economic security, reduce administrative burdens and otherwise benefit our seller community, as well as promote Etsy’s values and benefit our global marketplaces.
- It does this by working with policymakers, like-minded organizations and coalitions in the Americas, Europe, and India, and by directly engaging with our seller community.
- The team works with senior Etsy executives and with teams across the company to achieve its goals.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Track public policy issues at the federal that could impact Etsy and our community, keeping relevant internal partners informed and involved as needed
- Partner with Etsy team members to develop policy positions on a diverse array of federal and state policy issues, ranging from tech policy to the challenges facing micro-businesses
- Lead Etsy’s advocacy and public policy engagement on tax and trade policy with a focus on Congressional committees and members developing policies impacting marketplaces. Support campaigns to advance our priority policy goals by forming relationships with elected officials and their staff, connecting our seller community with policy makers, and working with diverse partners within and outside Etsy to frame and reframe issues to advance shared policy goals.
- Serve as the primary global liaison with the Etsy seller community in policy campaigns and provide global support for the team’s public policy and community-led initiatives
- Organize and lead meetings among elected officials, Etsy staff, and the Etsy community
- Coordinate US-based trade association engagement to improve collaboration with industry colleagues where joint action is beneficial.
- Drive Etsy thought leadership initiatives and partnerships in Washington, DC, including with think tanks, policy organizations, and NGOs passionate about issues of relevance to Etsy and our seller community. Identify strategic targets and form relationships with government officials and allies to advance policy goals
- Partner closely with Etsy’s policy communications team to ensure a tailored communications strategy for Washington, DC. and key tech policy partners
- Represent Etsy at meetings, events, conferences, and panels
- Support executive team engagement with government policymakers, including drafting remarks, preparing briefing materials, and providing follow-up support
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy’s discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- Have at least three to five years of experience working in government and public policy or grassroots organizing with a strong point of view on what makes effective campaigns succeed
- Worked with Congressional policymakers and federal government agencies or organizations and proficiency in public policy processes
- Expertise in issues affecting the technology sector, e-commerce, and the self-employed (e.g. intermediary liability, copyright, trademark, platform competition, product safety, privacy, trade, portable benefits, etc.)
- A consistent record of working independently, and leading projects from conception to completion
- Outstanding communication and writing skills, with the ability to distill complex policy issues into simple explanations and compelling messages
- Strong attention to detail, with excellent organizational, prioritization and multitasking skills
- Sound judgment and discretion
- A love of building strong relationships with your teammates and have a willingness to jump into any task
- Passion for Etsy’s mission and strategy to empower our community of sellers to advocate for themselves on issues they care about
- Ability to take travel and attend meetings in the DC area weekly and the ability to travel to the Brooklyn office as needed
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you’d like. As we hope you’ve seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you’ll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We’re open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-07