Manager, Industry Communications
The U.S. Travel Association is a dynamic, mission-driven association committed to increasing travel to and within the United States. U.S. Travel offers excellent benefits and a friendly, supportive environment where individual contributions are highly valued and the collective goals of 1,100-plus member organizations are advanced. U.S. Travel seeks staff who are committed to creating excellent work and contributing to a positive workplace culture. The office is conveniently located near Metro Center in downtown Washington, D.C.
U.S. Travel is actively seeking a Manager, Industry Communications opening. This position will serve as support for the Director, Industry Communications and Vice President, Marketing and Industry Communications for crafting and/or proofing U.S. Travel Association industry-facing communications, including but not limited to executive presentations and emails, fact sheets, research reports and marketing collateral in addition to supporting U.S. Travel signature event and board meeting execution.
The ideal candidate will be a very strong writer and natural collaborator who enjoys proofreading, writing and adhering written products to AP Style. The position is part of the Public Affairs department but supports marketing and communications across the association.
• Serve as primary point of contact for association president and CEO for all executive presentations, managing talking points development, review process and delivery, ensuring all messaging is accurate and reflective of latest data and positioning
• Collaborate with the president’s office to complete background and prep calls for speaking engagements and provide technical support for virtual speaking engagements through platforms including Zoom, GoToWebinar, etc.
• Manage messaging, scripts and presentations for executive level
speeches and presentations for all external U.S. Travel speakers, including but not limited to talking points, briefing/background documents and accompanying visual materials.
• Develop and manage a master document of talking points to be used for external speaking engagements, maintaining accuracy and consistency in message and data.
• Work frequently with U.S. Travel’s research team to ensure the most up-to-date data points are utilized in talking points and on slides for internal and external engagements.
• Assist with the drafting and coding of communications to U.S. Travel membership—and broader travel industry—that provide updates concerning the association’s advocacy goals, grassroots initiatives and other pertinent information via email and weekly newsletter, adjusting voice and tone per sender.
• Assist with the development of association and industry resources pertaining to association’s advocacy efforts, research findings and membership collateral, including but not limited to fact sheets, reports, guides and other materials.
• Serve as U.S. Travel’s go-to for copyediting and proofing member-facing and events materials, including but not limited to executive notes, promotional emails, events collateral, advocacy materials and research reports.
• Code emails as needed in Dreamweaver and manage the approval and final send process in MagnetMail, U.S. Travel’s email marketing system.
• Provide support in the form of talking points, run of show drafting and management, and technical support for U.S. Travel webinars and virtual meetings.
• Manage the editorial development and production of IPW Daily in close collaboration with marketing and design team and IPW team, including generating topics for editorial content, drafting and editing content and working with outside organizations to develop sponsored content as needed.
• Manage officewide copywriting style guides for U.S. Travel Association and U.S. Travel signature events.
• Help manage on-message scripts and run of shows for U.S. Travel signature events, including but not limited to: Destination Capitol Hill, IPW, U.S. Travel Board of Directors meetings, ESTO, Communications Advisory Committee, and Destination CEO Roundtable.
• Provide on-site support at above events as needed, ensuring most up-to-date scripts and run of show logistics are captured and executed seamlessly.
• Support industry communications and marketing teams in streamlining processes across office with regard to speaking engagement management, as well as member communications and webinar workflows.
• Liaise across departments, including but not limited to broader public affairs team, meetings and events, membership and marketing to ensure cross-office collaboration and consistency with all communications materials.
• Expert project management and attention to detail.
• Mastery of AP Style.
• Understanding of presentation writing and event execution.
• Ability to learn new topics quickly and transform complex information into easily understandable terms.
• A penchant for proof reading.
• Agility to work within tight deadlines, adjust quickly to changes in priorities and balance short-term deliverables with long-term strategic initiatives.
• Excellent writing skills and the ability to craft messages that reflect various author tones and styles, and that resonate with a range of audiences.
• A drive to succeed; problem-solver, creative thinker, team player.
• Political or public affairs experience/Capitol Hill savvy is preferred for translating policy matters into relatable communications materials.
• Delivers what is promised with accuracy and efficiency in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
• Ability to embrace a high-performance/high-productivity environment.
• Holds all projects to high quality standard.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and work against tight deadlines.
• Highly communicative; must possess a positive and proactive attitude with ability to take constructive feedback and input from multiple stakeholders.
• Self-initiated with a strong work ethic.
• Shows intellectual curiosity in every task they are asked to perform.
• Bachelor’s degree plus three years’ experience in the fields of communications and/or public relations. Knowledge and experience within the travel industry a plus.
• Mastery of AP Stylebook; Proficient in HTML (experience with Dreamweaver a plus); Mastery of Microsoft Office products, especially Word and PowerPoint; Familiarity with Dropbox and Slack.
• Adobe Creative Suite experience a plus.
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and reference to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2020-10-26