Manager, International Public Affairs & Sustainability
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the global leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are a people business just as much as we are a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand on the planet by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big on a daily basis and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
Our new, state-of-the art headquarters is located in the booming West Loop area in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is set up to be a global hub that fosters innovation: take a class at Hamburger University, sample future menu items in our Test Kitchen, and utilize the latest technology to stay in touch with your team around the globe. With monthly organized events, massive outdoor spaces, an 8000 square foot gym, and an onsite McDonald’s serving international favourites, our office helps us connect with each other like never before. Needless to say, you’ll be lovin’ it here…
We’re looking for two Managers to join the International Public Affairs team (part of the Corporate Relations function), led by Global Chief Communications Officer Robert Gibbs. In this position, you will support strategic external and internal engagement, with a broad range of partners, to proactively and reactively address regulatory and reputational issues impacting the global business. You will report to the Director of International Public Affairs and will sit on the Global Policy & Engagement team (a sub-team within Corporate Relations). You will also be working closely with Corporate Relations colleagues at our corporate headquarters, in regional offices and in the 119 markets around the world where we operate.
You will be guiding corporate policy and managing the development and execution of engagement strategies targeted to reach global stakeholders specifically related to people/employment, sourcing or environmental issues. You will support the business by identifying, prioritizing and managing reputational or regulatory issues, and by being a thought partner for other functions to help influence decisions and strategies.
You will manage relationships with international stakeholders to help shape external agendas that impact the business, to improve brand trust and to build external validation. In partnership with the broader Corporate Relations function, you will also manage global announcements and stakeholder engagement campaigns to support business strategies.
An important part of this international role is driving market awareness of key issues and supporting markets to manage evolving reputational and regulatory issues.
The positions are based at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, Illinois.
PRINCIPLE AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop international public affairs plans and strategies on key business issues.
- Proactively identifying, monitoring and managing regulatory or reputational issues and opportunities.
- Identifying and prioritizing key stakeholders and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Providing intelligence and recommendations on issues to inform and influence business decisions and strategies – acting as a thought partner to other functions.
- Executing the plan for direct external engagement with global stakeholder audiences – including Inter-Governmental Organizations (e.g. the UN), international NGOs, think tanks, trade associations, opinion influencers and relevant socially responsible investor groups.
- Developing communications strategies, plans, messaging and briefing materials to support external engagement.
- Guiding and preparing globally dispersed teams for significant business announcements.
- Providing intelligence and guidance to the markets to enhance capabilities and increase our capacity to proactively manage our stakeholder and issues landscape.
To accomplish the above, it is important that the successful candidate has 5+ years of related experience in Public Affairs/Government Relations/Public Policy/Corporate Affairs or related communications field.
The following experience would be preferred:
- Working on issues related to people, employment, sourcing, sustainability and/or environmental issues
- Knowledge of project management and ability to influence in a complex environment
- Working with or at a leading international consumer brand
- Familiarity with the food, beverage and/or restaurant sector
- Working with global stakeholders including international NGOs and the United Nations
McDonald’s Corporation is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Job posted: 2019-03-25