Manager, Legislative and Regulatory Affairs – WDC
What are we looking for?
Kellen, one of the world’s leading partners to trade associations and professional societies, is adding a role to its Washington, D.C., public affairs team – manager of legislative and regulatory affairs. This role will provide strategic guidance and execution support for advocacy efforts on behalf of Kellen clients in the food and nutrition industry, with a focus on tracking, monitoring, interpreting and drafting federal and state legislation.
The company’s food and nutrition portfolio includes some of the world’s foremost trade associations shaping the manufacturing, processing and consumption of food products in the U.S. and abroad. In addition to this role’s colleagues in the advocacy and public affairs department, the successful candidate will work with food scientists, food technologists, nutritionists and researchers on staff to shape the impact of legislative developments on U.S. food manufacturers and consumers.
What would you do?
- Work directly with association boards of directors, committees and members to develop and manage proactive and responsive state and federal congressional advocacy programs
- Monitor, analyze and interpret state and federal legislation with regard to associations’ interests
- Serve as subject matter expert to clients, specialists and the media with regard to food and nutrition legislation
- Develop and implement associations’ legislative agendas
- Maintain working relationships with congressional offices and conduct outreach as needed
- Attend congressional hearings, briefings, seminars, committee meetings and other events to represent clients and provide activity reports
- Draft and deliver written and oral testimony, letters and regulatory comments on behalf of clients
- Contribute to Kellen corporate communications including advertising, media interviews, internal and external newsletters, social media, and website content, as needed
- Participate in development of new business proposals, as needed
Am I qualified?
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 5-10 years’ experience working in legislative affairs, or 2-3 years’ experience with a master’s degree
- Experience tracking and monitoring proposed legislation from beginning to end
- Sound understanding of legislative process and stakeholders
- Superlative communication skills, both oral and written
The following qualifications are not required to apply for this role, but will further set candidates apart:
- Education and/or background in science
- Experience drafting successful legislation, regulations and/or regulatory guidance
- Diverse experience on Capitol Hill including congressional office and private advocacy
- Experience working for and/or with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Working knowledge of POLITICO Pro and/or Bloomberg Government
- Experience working for/with trade associations, preferably in the food and nutrition industry
- Familiarity with nutritional and food manufacturing standards in the U.S.
Ability to travel as needed.
What do we offer?
This role is based in Kellen’s Washington, D.C., office located in the historic National Press Building. Kellen employees enjoy competitive compensation and full benefits packages including 12 U.S. holidays plus accrued PTO, retirement plans with company match, medical/dental/vision insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and much more. The successful candidate will join a collegial, diverse and friendly atmosphere of communications, management and public affairs professionals working hard to turn our client missions into reality. For more information, visit kellencompany.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-23