Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager of Local External Affairs and Public Policy
OBJECTIVE: Support COSI’s Mission and Strategic Plan by helping to develop key partnerships in the public arena with a focus toward achieving COSI’s organizational goals. This includes primary responsibility to support the local engagement with the City of Columbus, Franklin County in the state Ohio, and other local cities and counties. The Manager of Local External Affairs and Public Policy will also ensure that partnerships are on track and raise public funds to support and grow COSI’s key initiatives and organizational goals. This role will also directly oversee public partnership engagement associated with the largest STEM event in the State of Ohio, the annual COSI Science Festival.
This position will work closely with the Director of External Affairs and the External Affairs department to manage critical local public partnerships. These partnerships may include mayors, city council members, county officials and more. This position will also assist in the drafting and execution of project proposals that enable funding for programmatic and capital support across the COSI ecosystem, which includes innovative onsite learning experiences, Learning Lunchbox kits, digital programming, COSI app, online resources, and the physical building assets. It will also support other key COSI initiatives such as COSI’s education television show, QED with Dr. B, Color of Science, the Platform STEM pipeline, and more. This position will serve COSI audiences of all ages, including areas for underserved youth, K-12, adults, special education, and early childhood education. This position will support the COSI 5.0 Strategic Plan, its goals and initiatives.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS / EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills; excellent verbal and written communication; ability to prioritize, balance, and meet multiple goals/projects simultaneously; enjoy working in a flexible, often fast-paced, team-oriented environment; and able to plan for and meet deadlines. Must be able to make clear decisions while being a team player, work on both a large and small scale, and establish and follow fundamental objectives.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required. Minimum of 2 years of demonstrated experience in external affairs and building successful partnerships in a business, nonprofit, museum, government agency, NGO, or equivalent with strategic engagement of community relevance and appeal, especially in the local public arena.
ACCOUNTABILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate local government and community outreach within the city landscape, including the City of Columbus, other cities in Ohio and beyond;
- Oversee local government outreach related to county government relations, including Franklin County and other counties in Ohio and beyond.
- Cultivate and steward relationships with assigned public officials and organizations.
- Identify new community and government partnerships for portfolio growth.
- Develop a rich understanding of COSI’s mission, vision, strategic plan, and portfolio of public funding opportunities including operational and capital support.
- Actively participate in the relationship management process, including public research and identification, stewardship and solicitation strategy development, as well as the generation of new ideas to contribute to COSI’s capacity.
- Lead coordination of the External Affairs Department and new data management system, which includes a database of existing community partnerships which support the COSI Science Festival community engagement and more.
- Work with key local contacts as part of the COSI Science Festival to ensure activation of annual major event. Assists in the execution, development, and management of key community and government assignments associated with the COSI Science Festival, such as the COSI STEM Star program and the COSI Science Festival Community Committee;
- Serve as a liaison with project teams, guiding the collaborative development and implementation of strategic government partners across the institution;
- Review with the Director of External Affairs ongoing and new relationships with COSI partners to help grow the relationships for greater collective impact across the organization;
- Collaborate with cross-departmental teams to determine community and government partnership impact on priority initiatives;
- Develop reports to be delivered for potential new community partners and organizations as well as existing partners;
- Work collaboratively with the Director of External Affairs and the Director of Diversity and Equity to build and facilitate external partnerships with diverse audiences.
- Serve as an example to other COSI team members in matters of appearance, attitude and performance in the mode that best serves COSI’s Team Members and Guests.
- Perform other administrative duties within the scope of position as assigned by the Director of External Affairs or the Chief Strategy Officer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-26