Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Manager, Local Government and Community Affairs
At Cheniere, we provide the world with safe, reliable energy. But more than that, we provide opportunities for our talented employees to impact their communities every day. Our diversity is key to our continued success and forges a path where our culture supports greater equity and inclusion—for our employees, customers and beyond.
The Manager, Local Government and Community Affairs is a key position within the State & Local Government and Community Affairs team within the Policy, Government and Public Affairs (PGPA) department. The Manager will be responsible for designing, developing and executing strategies that drive the Company’s stakeholder engagement and social performance in the Coastal Bend.
The Manager will be one of the primary public representatives for the company within the Coastal Bend, responsible for developing and maintaining strong relationships with the communities and local governments where the company operates. This individual is required to work successfully with community members, government officials, organizations and neighborhoods who represent diverse populations and cultures. The Manager will ensure that social performance opportunities and risks are given appropriate business focus, through the development of social impact assessments, social risk planning and social investment plans. This individual will act as PGPA liaison for the site, join the site leadership team and effectively participate on the Company’s incident & emergency response team.
This position will report directly to the Director, State Government Affairs and a dotted line to the Site Vice President and General Manager.
Understands key elements of the natural gas and/or chemical industries. In-depth knowledge of how to develop and implement community development initiatives and create an overall strategy to establish the Company as a partner in the community and among government stakeholders. Direct knowledge of corporate social performance development and strategy. Must become familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices and procedures. Working knowledge of local governments and communities in South Texas.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Builds and maintains positive relationships with key external stakeholders, including public, government, community leaders, environmental organizations, business and industry groups and other organizations whose work and missions impact the business and operations of Cheniere or are impacted by Cheniere.
- Leads the development of annual social risk mitigation strategies and social investment plans for the Corpus Christi site, including updates to the social impact assessment as necessary.
- Develops and implements awareness and engagement strategies at appropriate levels of community that positively impact our relationships with key constituencies and audiences.
- Works closely with Site Management and various business units across the company to align needs of internal and external stakeholders and company goals.
- Works closely with operations and construction teams to understand challenges, proactively identify issues that may impact community stakeholders, and creates strategies to address the impacts.
- Accountable for promotion and awareness of Corporate Giving and Employee Engagement programs at site.
- Facilitates and leads necessary communications with local elected officials, business groups, residents and other local stakeholder groups.
- Serves as one of the company’s primary public representatives in the Coastal Bend region – speaking at community meetings, town halls, and other public forums to inform and engage stakeholders about the Company’s projects and impacts.
- Coordinates special groups and other business and community events to promote awareness and the importance of Cheniere’s role in the community. Provides content and photos for Company website postings, annual CR report and other internal or external publications.
- Identifies and develops strategies to advance positive local media coverage and coordinates media inquiries/responses as needed under the guidance and direction of the Communications Department.
- Informs and updates Company management on community outreach and public affairs strategies and the potential impacts to the Company.
- Prepares well-written, concise briefings and summaries related to local issues management and community/government engagement. The individual must be comfortable speaking with the media and giving public presentations to various audiences.
- Manages budget for local stakeholder relations and social investments, including management of monthly expenditures, accurate updates to budget forecast, and strategically preparing annual budget requests.
- The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee from time to time; or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS)
- Education and Certifications: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant knowledge and experience.
- Experience: Eight (8)+ years of progressive experience in positions related to community relations, public relations, operations, strategic communications or government affairs. Experience and knowledge of social performance programs, including social impact assessments, social risk mitigation and social investment plans required. At least two (2) years of management experience and previous engagement in the oil and natural gas, manufacturing or chemical industries are highly desired.
- Strong leadership, social and organizational abilities are required.
- Ability to develop and execute social performance programs, including social impact assessments, social risk mitigation and social investment plans required.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of an organization and with individuals and groups from different disciplines, industries and organizations.
- Solid project management capabilities; organized and able to manage multiple activities and programs in a dynamic environment with a high degree of accuracy.
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills. Ability to work with technical teams (operations, engineering and construction).
- Accomplished public speaker, able to create and deliver audience-specific presentations.
- Must possess innovation, strategic thinking, mature judgment and be able to share information and work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team.
- Spanish language ability. Able to understand and answer community questions and give a company presentation in Spanish is highly desired.
1 Representative (stakeholder engagement) and 1 Lead Specialist (social investment and volunteerism)
FREEDOM TO ACT
Ability to multi-task and function in a highly dynamic atmosphere; ability to work autonomously; must exercise discretion independently.
- Job is performed in a typical office environment.
- Frequent work and responsibilities occur in the evenings and weekends.
- Occasional travel will be required (20%).
- Often exposed to stressful situations.
- Subject to drug and alcohol testing, per applicable federal regulations.
ADA JOB REQUIREMENTS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to ensure that the essential functions of the job can be performed and not hinder the employee’s performance due to physical, mental or emotional disability.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Cheniere Energy is an equal opportunity workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected categories. This includes providing reasonable accommodation if requested for disabilities or religious beliefs and practices.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-08