Manager, Marketing & Member Communications
The ASHG Manager, Marketing & Member Communications supports Society efforts to market its high-value
programs and assists with Society efforts to communicate with its field- and public-facing audiences. Promotes the
value of ASHG programming for human genetics and genomics researchers and other members of the scientific
community (including ASHG’s Annual Meeting, membership, journals, digital programs, advocacy, career
development, and related programs) and the value of being a part of the community. Organizationally, he/she works
cooperatively with a strong and collaborative team and other departments.
Duties and responsibilities
• Marketing: Using all appropriate channels (social media, blogs, email, web, newsletters, print, multimedia,
exhibiting, etc.), assists in efforts to:
o Develop and implement efforts to reinforce ASHG’s value to the community, as well as helping
membership develop and execute member onboarding programs. Works with Senior Director to
engage ASHG staff and external consultants selectively on such efforts.
o Assist in marketing attendance at the Annual Meeting and membership in the Society, as well as
supporting marketing for AJHG and HGG Advances in collaboration with colleagues.
o Supports the work of promoting digital programming including webinars and virtual conferences.
o Works with colleagues to coordinate their effective communication to special constituencies with
whom they work, such as exhibitors, teachers, donors, or volunteers.
• Member Communication: Guides production of quarterly e-newsletter and weekly digital update. In
partnership with Senior Director and Communications Assistant, helps set editorial agenda, writes select
pieces, and edits departmentally sourced material with eye to member value creation and promotion.
• Social Media: Assists in strategic planning of posts for social media channels including Twitter, LinkedIn,
Instagram and Facebook. Helps to create live chat events on channels such as Twitter and Reddit.
• Website: Works with the Senior Director and Web Administrator and Designer to support website content
and development, with focus on building out public resources on Discover Genetics. Helps to create and
implement strategies to enhance user experience and increase traffic.
• Research & Data: Support ongoing internal research agenda to better understand ASHG audiences,
developing knowledge that can enhance strategic/tactical plans and inform year-round marketing campaigns.
Tracks, analyzes, and reports on results of marketing strategies/tactics; uses these results to evaluate
effectiveness and continuously improve efforts.
• Operations & Finance: Contributes to helping ASHG implement, maintain, and enhance data management
systems as a key organization-wide resource with accurate, up to date information. Receives and acts upon key
data and reporting to aid membership and marketing functions. Assists with department budget, resources,
and consultant needs.
• Supervision: Supervises Communications & Marketing Assistant.
• 4-5+ years of full-time experience in progressively responsible association or scientific and/or marketing and
communications roles, using marketing and communications channels to engage and encourage change (e.g.,
purchase a membership, register for a meeting, join a community, etc.). Experience working in scientific
societies and associations a strong plus. Supervisory experience a plus.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degrees and/or CAE a plus.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills and emotional
• Enthusiasm for science and the role of scientific societies in serving research and public benefits.
• Capacity for teamwork and desire to work collaboratively across programs and functions.
• Strong interpersonal and customer service orientation to interact with and support colleagues, members, and
• Capacity to take on distributed communications projects successfully.
• Data and technology orientation, and experience in leveraging technology to enhance communication
efficiency and effectiveness. Experience monitoring and leveraging web analytics and social media marketing
data to inform strategies.
• Proactive project management and organizational skills to oversee multiple project priorities.
• Sound judgment and problem-solving attitude. Sense of humor and cooperation to address and work with
colleagues to synthesize diverse perspectives. Ability to work in a collaborative team environment while also
37.5 hours/week, full-time exempt. Occasional evening or weekend meetings or events, and travel 1-2x/year, including
to Annual Meeting each October.
Standard office environment, with sitting and standing desks available. Occasional packing and moving of boxes up to
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-20