Manager of Media, Public and Government Relations
About the Position
A member of the Communications Department, the Manager of Media, Public, and Government Relations is responsible for the development and implementation of strategies and initiatives that enhance United Network for Organ Sharing’s (UNOS) relations with government and regulatory authorities, the media, and the public. Ultimately, this manager will play an essential role in promoting and protecting UNOS’ brand and reputation by telling the story of the lifesaving work that the company does.
In particular, this position will:
- Develop strategies designed to enhance our relationships with members of the media, proactively educate them about the work we do, and respond to emerging issues and opportunities.
- Provide media training and prepare UNOS’ speakers for media interviews and other outreach.
- Determine external speaking opportunities to tell our story and prepare UNOS speakers to present.
- Develop and execute strategies designed to enhance our relationships with government and regulatory officials, deepen their awareness of the work done and the progress made by UNOS and the donation and transplant community, and ensure UNOS’ and our community’s interests are represented in relevant legislative and regulatory discussions.
- Manage and enhance our Ambassador program—made up of people touched by donation and transplant who want to give back to UNOS and our community—to deepen the contribution they make and value they bring and receive.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the Communications Department—Corporate Communications and Design, UX/UI teams—to ensure alignment of messaging and brand and develop content to support media, government relations, and Ambassador strategies.
- Manage a group of team members and provide counsel in order to help them achieve individual, departmental and organizational priorities as well as grow in their jobs and careers.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Communications to determine success metrics and identify and implement strategies for on-going process improvement for the department and the organization.
- 5+ years of experience (7-10 years strongly preferred) developing and leading government relations and media strategies, as well as reputation management and crisis communications activities.
- 2+ years of people management experience required. 5+ years preferred.
- Strong team leader with a proven record of effectively managing multiple projects and adapting as priorities change.
- Thorough and evolving knowledge of effective communications practices and industry tools, including media relations, social media, and community engagement.
- Strong understanding of effective government relations and media relations disciplines and engaging communications activities to support those activities.
- Ability to develop effective relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to lead communication strategies with cross-functional teams in order to accomplish organizational goals.
- Expert oral, written, and presentation skills for engaging with diverse audiences.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment and develop strong relationships with teams, peers and clients.
Additional Skills & Qualifications
- Experience managing outside agencies is preferred
- Ability to evaluate and establish project requirements, priorities, staffing requirements, budgets and timeframes for both large-scale efforts and small quick turnaround work.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Ability to translate complex material into audience-appropriate communications.
- A positive, can-do attitude and desire for a fun and inclusive workplace.
4-year degree in communications, marketing or other related field of study, or equivalent level of professional work experience required.
General office demands
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-24