Manager – Midcontinent Office
The American Waterways Operators
St. Louis, MO
Position Summary: The Midcontinent Office manages the advocacy work of AWO members in the Midwest and the Ohio Valley regions. The St. Louis-based manager oversees the Midcontinent’s two regions and is responsible for local, state and federal government advocacy; member relationships; and supports the regional safety programs.
· Dedicate time to members and the regions’ Board members through verbal and written communications and on-site visits.
· Ensure AWO members have access to information of importance to the industry.
· Manage industry engagement and regional initiatives that broadly affect AWO members; work in collaboration with waterway stakeholders to ensure the integrity of commercial navigation.
· Lobby federal, state and local legislatures and regulatory agencies on industry-related issues impacting the interests of association members.
· Work with key federal, state and local government officials to strengthen partnerships,
· Proactively manage legislative/regulatory proposals to ensure positive outcomes for the industry.
· Manage AWO’s grassroots advocacy program in the Midcontinent states.
· Plan, execute, and refine regional meetings, Coast Guard Sector Luncheons, Congressional Towboat Tours, grassroot visits, state and local outreach, issue forums and other opportunities for member engagement.
· Engage the Government Affairs Associates on issue research, to draft comments to federal, state and local agencies, articles for the AWO Newsletter, testimony for local, state and federal agencies/legislative bodies, letters to members of Congress and other work to prepare for advocacy actions.
· Provide leadership to the Midcontinent Regional Quality Steering Committee of the Coast Guard-AWO Safety Partnership to develop non-regulatory solutions to safety, security, and environmental issues.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Effective time manager and self-starter, especially in situations of competing priorities.
· Skilled relationship-builder, including effectiveness in politically sensitive situations.
· Five plus years managing multiple issues, multiple stakeholder programs.
· Ability to travel at least 50% of the time.
· Ability to complete administrative tasks while traveling.
· Bachelor’s degree
· Knowledge of the domestic maritime industry is helpful.
· Ability to plainly convey complex and or unfamiliar concepts.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org; reference “Manager – Midcontinent Office” on the subject line of the email
Job posted: 2019-07-08