Manager, Policy Communications
San Francisco, CA
Diamond Foundry Inc. is one of fastest growing, profitable technology startups. Creating the future of diamonds for jewelry and semiconductor applications, we use proprietary plasma reactor technology to produce high-quality diamond without carbon footprint and sell diamond jewelry online via our VRAI direct-to-consumer brand.
Diamond Foundry is looking for a Manager, Policy Communications, someone with a deep understanding of domestic and international public policy, technology, and advertising. This role will focus on the development and implementation of communications plans that build an understanding of the Diamond Foundry’s leading role in the diamond industry, particularly focused on educating elected officials and consumers about lab-grown diamonds. The role reports to the Head of Public Policy and works closely with the Director of Communications and Public Relations.
The ideal candidate will have a record of delivering Communications results and related policy outcomes on a range of fast-moving, high-profile, and complex policy issues. This person will think and act strategically, build an understanding of the media and influencer landscape, work well as part of a team, execute in a hands-on way with a high degree of autonomy, and report on results achieved.
- Support public policy goals helping to develop strategy, advocacy, and media campaigns that support the company’s policy goals and initiatives.
- Research, actively monitor, anticipate, and interpret reporting on key policy proposals and decisions that have a direct or potential effect on the company and our industry.
- Write or edit submissions to governments and regulators.
- Help develop the narrative and anticipated questions around policy issues as well as draft key materials including issue briefs, byline articles, Op-Eds, and more.
- Build strong domestic and international press and influencer relationships with those who cover policy and issues that Diamond Foundry cares about.
- Help distill complex subjects into clear and concise policy positions and talking points.
- Drive strong execution from Diamond Foundry’s Head of Public Policy.
More Specific Tasks:
- Strategic Planning & Messaging – work closely with the Head of Public Policy to hone the story of lab-grown diamonds and solidify its position in the space
- Campaign Planning & Execution – proactively ideate and plan initiatives and campaigns to elevate Diamond Foundry and lab-grown diamonds across external comms (PR, social)
- Media Relations & Press – identify proactive stories and news moments to share with the press; develop and maintain relationships with key reporters
- Content Creation – manage Diamond Foundry’s content creation process with collaboration from internal subject matter experts and support from external resources as needed
- Social & Web Presence – help develop and implement social media and web presence strategy; increase engagement and leverage owned channels to further tell the DF/lab-grown diamonds story
- Cross-cutting Team Support – support the VRAI team on relevant policy and corporate social responsibility issues
- Have 5 – 10 years of communications or public affairs experience with significant roles related to government relations, public policy, or corporate affairs – legislative experience is preferable.
- Experience engaging with external individuals/entities on behalf of a company or organization.
- Possess knowledge of the legislative and regulatory landscape in the U.S.
- Strong relationships with political media outlets and reporters as well as third-party organizations and influencers.
- Have worked in a public comms role and/or staff Comms role at a government institution.
- Demonstrated experience problem-solving in demanding environments.
- Think and communicate clearly – can formulate a clear point of view on complicated issues and create a concise and well-written narrative.
- Develop creative, effective approaches to difficult communications challenges.
- Deal with ambiguity – can drive consensus or form a cohesive and effective outcome from potentially incongruous facts (or lack thereof).
- Have the command to manage multiple inputs and ideas, synthesize feedback, and turn data into actionable recommendations.
- Are a stellar writer who knows AP style and can quickly produce solid drafts and turn pieces with ease.
- Enjoy a commitment to ensuring all activities undertaken are as successful as possible.
- Take a highly discreet approach and keep highly sensitive information confidential.
- Able to independently structure and manage workflow and priorities
- Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-04