Manager, Policy Manager
About Independent Sector
Independent Sector is the only national membership organization that brings together a diverse community of changemakers, nonprofits, foundations, and corporate giving programs working to strengthen civil society and ensure all people in the United States thrive. As the vital meeting ground, we advance our mission by fostering a sense of belonging, catalyzing action, and providing policy leadership across the full breadth of the charitable sector.
The Manager, Policy Research is proactive member of the Public Policy and Government Affairs team managing logistics across multiple research projects, providing programmatic support, data management, research, and analysis. Specifically, this includes project management of on-going research, implementing events engaging academics and practitioners around data products, and drafting literature reviews to support public policy and broader information needs of the nonprofit sector. The manager will work on a wide range of administrative and programmatic functions related to public policy and research efforts. Manager also cultivates and manages ongoing relationships and partnerships with academic, research, practitioner, and funder organizations
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the design, execution and program management of periodic and on-going research projects
- Cultivates and manages multiple relationships and partnerships
- Leads coalitions and working groups around data
- Conducts quantitative and qualitative research or analysis, including literature reviews, surveys, and statistical analysis of government data.
- Identifies, reviews, synthesizes and analyzes academic and policy research on a wide range of nonprofit issues.
- Contributes to the creation of research products tailored to target audiences. Includes writing research summaries, briefs, white papers, infographics, and one-pagers as well as the development of presentations.
- Check facts, proofreads, and edits research documents for accuracy
- Provides programmatic support as needed such as event planning, scheduling, webinar execution, and data entry
- Manages the engagement of academics and researchers around development, analysis and dissemination of research products
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of IS policy positions and the legislative and regulatory issues affecting the nonprofit and philanthropic community
- Participates in racial equity and inclusion planning with the Policy Team, including the integration of racial equity measures into research design and analysis of sector issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of full-time work experience in economics, policy research, other social science research or an equivalent combination of education & experience. Technical knowledge about nonprofit sector a plus or a master’s degree in a related field.
- Possesses strong people skills ability to lead groups and coalitions
- Understanding of basic research methodology and statistical analysis
- Ability to conduct literature reviews and draft reports
- Strong program management and organizational skills
- Experience using technology such as Microsoft Office, databases, and internet research. Knowledge of statistical analysis software a plus.
- Interest in policy and other research assessments that relate to the nonprofit sector
- Strong written communication skills
- Comfort working in collaborative, team settings
- Anticipatory skills, including the ability to juggle multiple projects with agility and attention to deadlines
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in a normal office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job in a normal office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-09